How do you know when it's time to have a pet put to sleep?

My 16 yr old rat terrier has had congestive heart failure for about 2 years. She's on meds to reduce fluid buildup on the heart and lungs. She coughs a lot. I try to play with her and she seems to want to but the excitement makes her cough more.Her…

My 16 yr old rat terrier has had congestive heart failure for about 2 years. She's on meds to reduce fluid buildup on the heart and lungs. She coughs a lot. I try to play with her and she seems to want to but the excitement makes her cough more.Her…...
    Other Pet Discussions : How do you know when it's time to have a pet put to sleep?...

• How do you know when it's time to have a pet put to sleep?

How do you know when it's time to have a pet put to sleep? Other Pet Discussions
      My 16 yr old rat terrier has had congestive heart failure for about 2 years. She's on meds to reduce fluid buildup on the heart and lungs. She coughs a lot. I try to play with her and she seems to want to but the excitement makes her cough more.Her hearing is very poor and she is developing cataracts. Her sniffer still works :) BUt when she walks she seems uncomfortable and she sleeps a lot.

How do you know when it's time to have a pet put to sleep? Other Pet Discussions
    • If she is still interested in eating and engaging with her "pack" then let her enjoy the time she has left.When she starts to pull away, or is unable to enjoy, then it is time. Just keep in mind that every one of our days is equivilant to about 6 dog days. So if it looks as if her good days are behind her, and worse days are ahead of her, be the good friend to her that she has been to you all these years. Let your presense and scent be the last thing she is surrounded by, as she heads to the rainbow bridge. P.S. Pay attention to her eyes.. She'll let you know that she's tired and ready to go. It's your job to help her.Hugs to you

• I suggest u put her to sleep now, I mean the worst thing u can do an animal (or anything, for that matter) is let it suffer. It seems to me ur rat terrier is sick, and probably inpain, if u love ur pet and care for them, then u willnow what to do! I suggest putting it to sleep instead of letting it suffer. I have dealt with this in the past and I know it is hard, but just think "I gave her a good home, and gave her a life, so it is fair to her. Don't worry, if u dont want to take her home after the shot, the vet can take care of it. I know u will do the right thing.

• Maybe see how she is if you don't play with her. Limit her exercise. If she still seems to be in duress, then its time. I know how hard it is to say "Goodbye" to someone you love. But you are doing this out of love. My heart goes out to you, no matter what your outcome is, and your heart will let you know when its the right time.

• :~ (My parents had a toy fox terrier for almost 13 years and have to have him put down for similar issues (fluid buildup). They said that on "that day" (6 years ago this week), he just looked up at them as if to say "Help me." I had been living away from home for a few years at that time, and I *still* miss him, so I can only imagine how they feel.My advice is to not get her excited. She wants to please you, obviously, and probably still enjoys playing since she knows that you always enjoyed it, but it's not doing her any favors. I know she's been a pistol and a joy to watch chase after and bark at squirrels and birds in the yard, but make her remaining days peaceful.

• when you know that you would not want to live lke that then you will have your answer. furtunatley we can help our pets make a peacfull transition rather than spend the rest of their life in in a state of poor quaility. your dog lives to please you, and if playing pleases you then it will play or die trying, even if it is in pain.

• I work for a vet and they always ask owners about the "quality of life" of the pet. They ask about appetite, drinking, able to walk, able to control urine and stool. Things of that nature. I have seen too many owners keep their pets alive because "they just don't want to let them go" and in reality are making their pet suffer. I know it is a hard decision to make but you have to think about your pet, not yourself when making the decision.

• I vote for Karmas answer as the best one.We had a ShiTzu for 16 years (9 of which was in a wheelchair because of a broken back) He "told us" that it was time to go and I have to tell you that it was very hard to let him go.He is buried under an apple tree on our farm.God Bless.Cris

• It is a hard decision. You have to weigh her quality of life. Is she hurting? Unhappy? We recently had our Great Dane put to sleep. He had a brain tumor, but it caused no problems for a year. When it started to cause uncontrollable seizures and pain it was time. Talk to your vet and ask his advice. I hopr this helps.

• i have a rabbit and questions like these make my skin crawl because i wouldnt want to be in that situation EVER! :( but if i had to make a decision like this, i would put my pet to sleep. i wouldnt want it to suffer anymore and i wouldnt want to see it in pain either. i know it will be difficult to let go but it may be the best thing for your pet. this is just my opinion but the decision is yours.♥