Reasons for Castrating Your Dog? - Discuss without ranting please?

An interesting question on this was recently removed - probably because it was seen as a rant. Nevertheless, despite some disingenousness, it raised some issues one of which was that Castration might actually predispose your dog to prostate cancer.The…

An interesting question on this was recently removed - probably because it was seen as a rant. Nevertheless, despite some disingenousness, it raised some issues one of which was that Castration might actually predispose your dog to prostate cancer.The…...
    General Dog Discussions : Reasons for Castrating Your Dog? - Discuss without ranting please?...

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Reasons for Castrating Your Dog? - Discuss without ranting please?

Reasons for Castrating Your Dog? - Discuss without ranting please? General Dog Discussions
      An interesting question on this was recently removed - probably because it was seen as a rant. Nevertheless, despite some disingenousness, it raised some issues one of which was that Castration might actually predispose your dog to prostate cancer.The story is somewhat different: Neutering causes the prostate to shrink thus preventing both prostatitis and troublesome benign age-related hyperplasia. Has anyone on here actually had prostate cancer in their neutered dog?

Reasons for Castrating Your Dog? - Discuss without ranting please? General Dog Discussions
    • The reason it was deleted is because it was a rant. Even if it wasn't a rant it was a chat. There was no question asked.I have never had a neutered dog with prostate cancer. In fact, in my wide experience working with and owning dogs, intact dogs generally do run into more health issues.

• Are you Kidding? Some jack*ass had it removed? I Hate Control Freaks!! Can't believe people don't have anything better to do. I answered that one too!As I said in the FIRST one. Studies suggest the hormones feed the cancer.

• Never - and I know of literally thousands of dogs through our rescue and associates - never has one neutered dog had prostate cancer, my vet says it prevents it almost 100 percent.As to why castrate/nueter --- as long as there are intact dogs in the hands of irresponsible pet owners, or even relatively responsible ones whose dog have an "oops" moment, there will be a huge surplus of unwanted dogs being euthanized or starving on the streets.This isn't an opinion, it's a fact, go check the kill shelters. As a member of a breed rescue, I am all to aware that pedigree dogs get dumped and end up homeless too, isn't just mutts.There is far more sloppy, unwanted breeding than there is the breeding of quality examples of any breed.The only way to eliminate this sad, sad, surplus ending on death row is to spay and neuter normal pets. Nobody should be breeding by mistake or because their dog is "so cute".Does the dog no harm that anyone has ever proven, quite the contrary, prevents a lot of diseases in males and females, and will end the surplus of dogs (and cats) treated as garbage to throw away when inconvenient. If you see the result of this mess every day as rescuers and shelter people do, you'd know what the issue is and the way to solve it -- it's not euthanasia, it's spay/neuter.

• I've never had prostate cancer in ANY of my dogs - neutered or not (most of my males are NOT neutered).However, there was at least one study done in which neutered males had a higher incidence of PC than non-neutered. And there are many other issues as well.There is NO reason for a *responsible* owner to neuter their dog.

• JEEZ - I simply had my dog neutered to keep him in the yard and to prevent more dogs in our area. There was no consideration given to health issues; I was merely being a responsible citizen.

• Never witnessed prostate cancer in any of my dogs, or the elderly rescue dogs I work with. Castrated or not.Regardless, my dogs have been neutered because I have NO desire to view those nasty danglies on a regular basis, nor do I want even the most remote possiblity of an "oops" litter. My dog, my choice.Edit:Single worked raises a good point.OLD DOGS DIE, whether it be of cancer or some other disease. They all have to die of something.

• I have seen prostate cancer more in castrated dogs then I have in intact dogs. I don't know if these dogs were predisposed or if they just happened to live longer because of the care that they received. Older dogs have to die of something.

• I think the obvious answer here is no, neutering a dog does not predispose it to prostate cancer. Working in a veterinary hospital, I can think of numerous intact males that we saw for enlarged prostates, some of them so bad they literally could not urinate and ended up dying. I have never ever seen or heard of a neutered dog getting prostate cancer, and if it did happen, it would be an anomaly. If and when it becomes commonplace for vets to entertain this idea, then I'm sure it will happen. Until then, it's common knowledge, and undisputed belief in any veterinary hospital I've worked for, that neutering your dog is the responsible thing to do. I would even go as far as to say its negligent to broadcast the idea on a website that neutering your dog can be harmful, as if the uneducated pet owner population needed any more reason to NOT neuter. Unless you're a breeder, neuter your dog. There is NO dispute there. And if that "study" becomes recognized in the veterinary community, people will form their own opinions. Until then, neuter your dogs. End of story.

• http://www.naiaonline.org/pdfs/LongTermHealthEffectsOfSpayNeuterInDogs.pdfThis is the most comprehensive analysis of studies on spay/neuter. It should be read by everyone before they make a decision one way or the other.