Do you give your dogs animal bones?

I have two small dogs. My vet told me that bones splinter inthe intestines and create pinholes that ultimately require surgical intervention. She said she performs several of these surgeries every month. Since then, no bones for my guys.You all seem…

Do you give your dogs animal bones?

I have two small dogs. My vet told me that bones splinter inthe intestines and create pinholes that ultimately require surgical intervention. She said she performs several of these surgeries every month. Since then, no bones for my guys.You all seem…...
    General Dog Discussions : Do you give your dogs animal bones?...

• I give my dog raw bones...beef, pork and chicken all the time!!! Raw bones are fine...It's cooked and smoked bones you never want to give your dog!!!!Cooked bones splinter.

• I don't bother with bones for the most part. Occasionally I do give my dog large raw bones. He'll chew on them for a while to get all the meat off, but he doesn't even work on them hard enough to get any pieces of bone off. (if he did, I wouldn't give them to him at all)I do give my dog bull sticks. All muscle, nothing to splinter and hurt my dog.Your vet is exaggerating. She does not do several of those surgeries a month, but even a couple a year is enough to know that it's not a good idea.

• If your vet is talking about ALL bones not just cooked ones then your vet is full of it!!! There are over 11 thousand raw feeders on just one of the forums I am a member of and this does not happen. And yes, there are many vets, vet nurses and vet techs that choose to raw feed their animals.Dogs are designed to eat prey and carrion - these things contain bones, muscle and organs. That is what you should be feeding your dog for optimum health. My dog and cats eat raw meat, meaty bones and offal everyday and I would never go back to artificial food.They eat chicken, turkey, beef, lamb, pork, fish, kangaroo, goat etc. The ONLY bones they don't get are those big shin or knuckle bones (they crack teeth) and ones that have been cut by the butcher (chops etc).