My dog has an enlarged prostate. Not getting better could it be something else?

I took my dachshund  to the vet cause I thought he hurt his back but he took X-rays and saw everything perfect and checked his prostate and turned out to be it was enlarged so he gave a medicine called medrol he said in two weeks he should feel better…

I took my dachshund  to the vet cause I thought he hurt his back but he took X-rays and saw everything perfect and checked his prostate and turned out to be it was enlarged so he gave a medicine called medrol he said in two weeks he should feel better…...
    General Dog Discussions : My dog has an enlarged prostate. Not getting better could it be something else?...

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• My dog has an enlarged prostate. Not getting better could it be something else?

My dog has an enlarged prostate. Not getting better could it be something else? General Dog Discussions
      I took my dachshund  to the vet cause I thought he hurt his back but he took X-rays and saw everything perfect and checked his prostate and turned out to be it was enlarged so he gave a medicine called medrol he said in two weeks he should feel better but no he's still the same having difficulty walking crying at random times not being happy he always wanted to play now he doesn't he's sides look really big could it be something else?? Should I take him to another vet or take him back there and see why the pills didn't work

My dog has an enlarged prostate. Not getting better could it be something else? General Dog Discussions
    • i would go for a second opinion. I have seen most prostate problems be resolved or atleased decreased with neutering. (if he is not already) and ultrasound can make sure it is just enlarged and not a tumor.enlarged prostate does not automatically mean cancer/tumor but it is a very real possibility and x-rays rarely can distinguish between the 2. it is a really possibility and should be addressed/ruled out.

• I've had two old boys suffer with this - the solution? Castration. I did have one who we tried chemical castration with and that worked so you might consider asking your vet about this rather than putting him through surgery. However, castration should work.For sure, if you are still seeing him suffering, he needs to go back to the vet. Of course you are entitled to take a second opinion if you don't have confidence in the vet you normally use. But be aware, they may want to start over with x-rays etc. So I'd give the vet you have the chance to sort out what's going on.ps I am concerned about his increased size because often with an enlarged prostate, males often have difficulty passing a stool. This might be happening and causing the bulge.Add I have to totally disagree with the idea that an enlarged prostate means cancer. It does not, necessarily. I had two, as I've already said, with this and there was NO cancer. Your vet would surely have found this, had this been the case?

• I would definitely get a second opinion. Your dog should have some enjoyed some relief at this point instead of getting worse - which is how it sounds.IF it is prostrate problems, I'm surprised your vet did not recommend castration which further emphasizes the need for a second opinion. It's true that an enlarged prostrate doesn't automatically translate into a tumor, but it is highly possible. I would take him to another vet and push for some answers. More testing (ultrasound) would be of benefit.

• Years ago one of my entire males had this problem. Although I am diligent about neutering my females, I have never been too concerned about my male dogs.Anyway, in the not too distant past neither males nor females were neutered.Regan started to pee blood and the vet said he had an enlarged prostrate. He said that if he was castrated that the problem would be resolved.. Regan was a Great Dane and was just five years old when he was diagnosed with a Prostrate problem. Danes life span is short, however Regan was aged 12 years old when he died.