I have a dog a chow, how often should I give him a bath?

I groom my chow 2 times a day but how often should I give him a bath? 1 a week? 1 a month? 2 a month? Just asking cause I don't wanna have him itching all the time!It is an indoor dog...I let him out to the back yard for potty time and play!

I groom my chow 2 times a day but how often should I give him a bath? 1 a week? 1 a month? 2 a month? Just asking cause I don't wanna have him itching all the time!It is an indoor dog...I let him out to the back yard for potty time and play!...
    General Dog Discussions : I have a dog a chow, how often should I give him a bath?...

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• I have a dog a chow, how often should I give him a bath?

I have a dog a chow, how often should I give him a bath? General Dog Discussions
      I groom my chow 2 times a day but how often should I give him a bath? 1 a week? 1 a month? 2 a month? Just asking cause I don't wanna have him itching all the time!It is an indoor dog...I let him out to the back yard for potty time and play!

I have a dog a chow, how often should I give him a bath? General Dog Discussions
    • Depends on how dirty he gets and how much he is shedding. It can be as often as once a week or little as once a month. You just have to use a judgment call. If it is an outdoor dog you will want to bathe him more or even if it is an indoor dog and has to go outside to potty in bad weather it may need bathed more. You will figure it out soon.

• You may use any shampoo but make sure it says HYPO ALLERGICAlso, do NOT bathe your dog more than once a month.More than that will dry out his skin, make him extremely itchy and could become severe.I highly recommend you use something to prevent fleas and ticks even if your dog has NONE at the moment. Remember, it takes only ONE single tick or flea to infest your house...ONCE your house is infested you'll go CRAZY because they're so hard to get rid of.I use FRONTLINE PLUS on my dogs to prevent fleas and ticks it also kills the eggs. Its effective with the dog's natural skin oils which means if you just bathed your dog today you MUST wait at least 2 or 3 days to apply it.I bathe ALL my dogs once a month. 3 days before their frontline dose is due.FRONTLINE PLUS is about $50 in pet stores and brings 3 doses for three months(thats the smallest amount, there are more)Another recommendation is to NEUTER (to prevent your dog from having puppies) your dog when he's at least 6 or 7 months of age. Spayed/neutered dogs live happier, healthier and longer lives.NEUTERING# Risk of testicular cancer is eliminated and decreases chance of prostate disease# Decreases aggressive behavior, including dog bites# Reduces or eliminates risk of spraying and marking# Less desire to roam and therefore less likely to be injured in fights or auto accidents# Reduces the number of unwanted dogs and cats# Helps the animal live a longer and healthier lifeLastly, in a couple of months from now you should test your dog for heartworm - heartworm is easily transmitted through mosquito bites and could be deadly if NOT treated. If your dog shows negative, just put her in HEARTWORM PREVENTION to prevent the risk (I use heartguard). If she's positive, your vet will provide with the proper meds which could be very expensive but worth itI wish you the best of luck to you and your dog.