I just bought new puppy I believe from puppy mill what to do now?

I just bought a new shi tzu today and when I got home I looked up puppy mills and realized that the place I purchased my puppy from fit the description. I am planning on taking my puppy to the vet tomorrow are there any special things I should worry…

I just bought a new shi tzu today and when I got home I looked up puppy mills and realized that the place I purchased my puppy from fit the description. I am planning on taking my puppy to the vet tomorrow are there any special things I should worry…...
    General Dog Discussions : I just bought new puppy I believe from puppy mill what to do now?...

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• I just bought new puppy I believe from puppy mill what to do now?

I just bought new puppy I believe from puppy mill what to do now? General Dog Discussions
      I just bought a new shi tzu today and when I got home I looked up puppy mills and realized that the place I purchased my puppy from fit the description. I am planning on taking my puppy to the vet tomorrow are there any special things I should worry about? Additionally the puppy was full of energy at the place, but now all he has done is sleep should I be worried about parvo? His nose is still wet but he won't eat or drink and he has not pooped bt he has peed.

I just bought new puppy I believe from puppy mill what to do now? General Dog Discussions
    • Hi,Symptoms of parvo do include sleepiness, but also (and most significantly) vomiting and severe diarrhea. Let your vet know where you got the puppy, tell them it may be a puppy mill situation. Puppies from poor breeders often do have contagious AND genetic diseases. Your vet will do a thorough exam and check for all of the usual Shih Tzu problems. Many genetic diseases do not show up until later in life, so make sure he gets regular check ups at your vet. If you just got the puppy today he may be simply tired and stressed at being away from his littermates. Try feeding him again in the morning, if he still doesn't want to eat ask your vet to recommend a different type of food. If he is healthy enough the vet should give him his first set of vaccines and dewormer. Keep in mind, puppies do need several sets of vaccines to be fully vaccinated, and until he has all of vaccines he is still susceptible to parvo and other viruses. As far as the puppy mill situation, if you have a humane society or animal control in your area with a humane officer, don't hesitate to call them and report the problem. They may already know about it, but the more complaints they have about a place, the more likely it will be shut down and save a lot of pets from suffering there.Good luck!

• You're doing the right thing by going to the vet immediately. Explain the situation so that the vet will give him a thorough examination. Try to get him to drink at least.Then report the place where you bought him to the animal control officer in your area, they can't do anything without a complaint, and hopefully the place will get shut down.