Will neutering my dog make it less playful?

I just got a one year shih tzu and i have seriously been going back and forth with neutering him. i know the pros of neutering but he is a very playful dog and i love it. will neutering him make him less playful?

I just got a one year shih tzu and i have seriously been going back and forth with neutering him. i know the pros of neutering but he is a very playful dog and i love it. will neutering him make him less playful?...
    General Dog Discussions : Will neutering my dog make it less playful?...

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Will neutering my dog make it less playful?

Will neutering my dog make it less playful? General Dog Discussions
      I just got a one year shih tzu and i have seriously been going back and forth with neutering him. i know the pros of neutering but he is a very playful dog and i love it. will neutering him make him less playful?

Will neutering my dog make it less playful? General Dog Discussions
    • Neutering won't change your dog's behavior. He'll still be playful and friendly. Neutering won't affect socialzitoin with humans. The behaviors that DO change are far less desirable: the interest in roaming is eliminated in 90 percent of neutered dogs. Aggressive behavior against other male dogs is eliminated in 60 percent of neutered dogs. Urine marking is eliminated in 50 percent of neutered male dogs. Inappropriate mounting is eliminated in 70 percent of neutered dogs.And that's just behavioral wise, there are medical benefits too.There are several health benefits to neutering. One of the most important concerns the prostate gland, which under the influence of testosterone will gradually enlarge over the course of the dog's life. In age, it is likely to become uncomfortable, possibly being large enough to interfere w/defecation. The prostate under the influence of testosterone is also predisposed to infection which is almost impossible to clear up without neutering. Neutering causes the prostate to shrink into insignificance thus preventing both prostatitis as well as the uncomfortable benign hyperplasia (enlargement) that occurs with aging. It is often erroneously held that neutering prevents prostate cancer but this is not true.Other health benefits of neutering include the prevention of certain types of hernias and tumors of the testicles and anus. Excessive preputial discharge is also reduced by neutering.

• No, neutering will not make the dog less playful and as a matter of fact, your dog will be less aggressive. He will only be less playful for a few days after he is neutered and then he'll gradually get back to himself.

• if your puppy has a high play drive (meaning he loves to play), neutering him is not going to take that away from him. Neutering only will take away his sex drive, two completely unrelated desires.It will also prevent him from getting testicular cancer. It will take a few months for his hormones to settle after his neuter, but he should still be the same playful pup.Neutering also helps with unwanted territory marking and undesirable 'humping'. Good luck with your pup

• Speaking from experience, neutering does not affect the playfulness of your dog. Of course the week or two after he is neutered, he MIGHT not be as playful or he might sleep, but that soon wheres off and he'll be the same dog he was before. There are more pros than cons. Your dog will be at a very low risk of getting certain cancers, less risk of roaming to find a female, less risk of marking and you don't have to worry about an accidental mating happening. The only con I can think of is they're more likely to become overweight but it's generally easy to overcome..just decrease the amount of food, get regular exercise..

• Your dog will be no different when you have him neutered. He will be a little sore for a few days after the procedure, but he will be back to his usual self in no time. You will not lose the playful puppy, but if you don't have him neutered and he begins to go in heat, he will lose the playfulness and become fully aware of his adult anatomy and his urge to mate. Get him neutered before he loses the playfulness to adulthood.

• Since generally the only answers you tend to get on this site are all pro-neuter, I'm going to give you a link so that you can make an informed decision when it comes to altering your pets.There are many vets that are now questioning the real benefits of altering our dogs. The main problem is when you alter your dog to early. It opens them up to many more issues when altered compared to when you leave them intact.I would rather people make informed decisions.

• Hi,Females get the spay surgery, which removes the ovaries and uterus, and will keep your dog from getting pregnant while a neuter surgery removes a male dog's testicles and will keep your dog from impregnating another dog.Here's more info about the matter:http://dogtime.com/spay-neuter.htmlHope this helps.