What specific diseases does early spaying/neutering prevent?

I found a long list of specific cancers and diseases early spaying/neutering increases or causebut as for one's it prevents I could only find ''some cancers'' and ''some diseases', but never any specific ones, and I highly doubt their's a cancer called…

I found a long list of specific cancers and diseases early spaying/neutering increases or causebut as for one's it prevents I could only find ''some cancers'' and ''some diseases', but never any specific ones, and I highly doubt their's a cancer called…...
    General Dog Discussions : What specific diseases does early spaying/neutering prevent?...

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• What specific diseases does early spaying/neutering prevent?

What specific diseases does early spaying/neutering prevent? General Dog Discussions
      I found a long list of specific cancers and diseases early spaying/neutering increases or causebut as for one's it prevents I could only find ''some cancers'' and ''some diseases', but never any specific ones, and I highly doubt their's a cancer called ''the Some Cancer''. So can someone please tell the -specific- names of the diseases and cancers. WHAT cancers does it prevent? WHAT diseases does it prevent?

What specific diseases does early spaying/neutering prevent? General Dog Discussions
    • Diseases i don't know about. I don't see how it would stop a disease. But,neutering decreases the chances of testicular cancer in males, and mammary cancer in females. It of course also prevents unwanted pregnancies. This is a good site for info. http://www.aspcabehavior.org/articles/46/How-Will-Spaying-Change-My-Dog.aspx

• Well obviously any cancer and disease relating to the reproductive organs... ovarian cancer, testicular cancer etc. They are prevented by not having those organs anymore. However, early spaying and neutering drastically increases the chance of bone cancer and increases the chance of prostate cancer and urinary infections.On the positive side, neutering male dogs• eliminates the small risk (probably <1%) of dying from testicular cancer• reduces the risk of non-cancerous prostate disorders• reduces the risk of perianal fistulas• may possibly reduce the risk of diabetes (data inconclusive)On the negative side, neutering male dogs• if done before 1 year of age, significantly increases the risk of osteosarcoma (bone cancer); this is acommon cancer in medium/large and larger breeds with a poor prognosis.• increases the risk of cardiac hemangiosarcoma by a factor of 1.6• triples the risk of hypothyroidism• increases the risk of progressive geriatric cognitive impairment• triples the risk of obesity, a common health problem in dogs with many associated health problems• quadruples the small risk (<0.6%) of prostate cancer• doubles the small risk (<1%) of urinary tract cancers• increases the risk of orthopedic disorders• increases the risk of adverse reactions to vaccinationsOn the positive side, spaying female dogs• if done before 2.5 years of age, greatly reduces the risk of mammary tumors, the most commonmalignant tumors in female dogs• nearly eliminates the risk of pyometra, which otherwise would affect about 23% of intact femaledogs; pyometra kills about 1% of intact female dogs• reduces the risk of perianal fistulas• removes the very small risk (≤0.5%) from uterine, cervical, and ovarian tumorsOn the negative side, spaying female dogs• if done before 1 year of age, significantly increases the risk of osteosarcoma (bone cancer); this is acommon cancer in larger breeds with a poor prognosis• increases the risk of splenic hemangiosarcoma by a factor of 2.2 and cardiac hemangiosarcoma bya factor of >5; this is a common cancer and major cause of death in some breeds• triples the risk of hypothyroidism• increases the risk of obesity by a factor of 1.6-2, a common health problem in dogs with manyassociated health problems• causes urinary “spay incontinence” in 4-20% of female dogs• increases the risk of persistent or recurring urinary tract infections by a factor of 3-4• increases the risk of recessed vulva, vaginal dermatitis, and vaginitis, especially for female dogsspayed before puberty• doubles the small risk (<1%) of urinary tract tumors• increases the risk of orthopedic disorders

• It also appears that removing ovaries (which is done in a spay) also SHORTENS the life of dogs.No one on the pro spay bandwagon likes to talk about that one.-----Ovaries may be a key to prolonged life in women and dogsDec 5, 2009DVM NEWSMAGAZINE West Lafayette, Ind. -- We know that women tend to live longer than men, but a new study shows that the same may be true in dogs, especially if a female dog’s ovaries are not surgically removed early in life. A study conducted at the Gerald P. Murphy Cancer Foundation compared the medical histories, ages and causes of death in 119 long-lived rottweilers with a longevity of at least 13 years with 186 rottweilers with a normal longevity of about 9 years. The study was published in the December issue of the journal Aging Cell. "Like women, female dogs in our study had a distinct survival advantage over males," said the lead researcher David J. Waters, associate director of Purdue University's Center on Aging and the Life Course and a professor in the Department of Clinical Sciences. "But taking away ovaries during the first four years of life completely erased the female survival advantage. We found that female rottweilers that kept their ovaries for at least six years were four times more likely to reach exceptional longevity compared to females who had the shortest lifetime ovary exposure."This study's findings are in line with those of a study conducted earlier this year at the John Wayne Cancer Institute in Santa Monica, Calif., of 29,000 who had hysterectomies because of benign uterine disease. Although those women whose ovaries were removed before 50 years of age were protected against ovarian, uterine and breast cancer, increased mortality from other causes was noted compared with those who had their ovaries for at least 50 years. Both studies call into question the automatic removal of the ovaries when hysterectomies are performed in dogs and women.