How do I know if my cat needs to be sterilized?

I have a male 9 month old cat, he's sometimes too playful, sometimes cute as hell, and sometimes a bit wild and biting! Do have knowledge on this? When do people sterilize cats? He doesn't have contact with other cats either.

I have a male 9 month old cat, he's sometimes too playful, sometimes cute as hell, and sometimes a bit wild and biting! Do have knowledge on this? When do people sterilize cats? He doesn't have contact with other cats either....
    General Dog Discussions : How do I know if my cat needs to be sterilized?...

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• How do I know if my cat needs to be sterilized?

How do I know if my cat needs to be sterilized? General Dog Discussions
      I have a male 9 month old cat, he's sometimes too playful, sometimes cute as hell, and sometimes a bit wild and biting! Do have knowledge on this? When do people sterilize cats? He doesn't have contact with other cats either.

How do I know if my cat needs to be sterilized? General Dog Discussions
    • Sterilization really isn't just the fact of him not having bouncy babies but neutering can help with behavioral problems as well. Generally, not all, most neutered cats are calmer. Neutering also helps with urine marking and male cat urine is something you do NOT want lingering in your home. Also, neutering can decrease the risk of prostate cancer in your cat. I work at a vet's office and we had a dog come in not too long ago where the owner did not have him neutered and it was discovered he had prostate cancer, our vet went ahead and neutered him but it was too late, about 2 months later he came in and could not walk and his blood pressure was very low and he was humanely euthanized. I honestly think neutered cats live longer and happier lifes with less complications than a cat who is not neutered.

• it would really be best for him to be neutered,un-neutered cats usually spray,and they can be more angry,and they will CONSTANTLY try to escape,get him neutered tomorrow,he is old enough,you want to do it before spring thats kitten season there will be females in heat everywhere,and he will try to get away,and he could get hurt easily if he does.

• You should definitely sterilize your cat. You could have sterilized your cat the moment he weighed 2-3 pounds. However, it is never too late if your cat is still healthy. It will reduce the risk of him getting cancer and will eliminate behavioral problems. This includes reducing the risk of him spraying. Even if he is your only cat, there is still a chance that he might get out one day, and impregnate a female cat, resulting in unwanted litters that will most likely end up euthanized. Please sterilize your kitty. :)

• you should never sterilize cats unless there is a medical reason, such as cancer that is in that area or other things such as narrow uretra. there are mANY reasons to sterilize a cat. but a stupid myth people have is that dogs or cats will calm down if there sterilized. that is not true. its in the same category as the pitbull lock jaw myth: utterly stupid. it can cause lots more medical problems than good. MOST animals, although you prob dont hear about this enough, but when youre the 1 out of four people the cdc says this happens to, its not going to be a good day! and i recommend doing some playing and excersises! make him a playhouse. specifically one he can climb on. then get him to climb on it! it will release stress and make him happier. and its always good to socialize cats. OH! and dont listen to people saying " its best for the pet" how is doing a dangerous, painful, high anestesia operation good for a pet that doesnt even need it? but, if your cat is trying to mate or somethin and you dont want kittens, then of course do it.

• So what if he doesn't have contact with other cats? Do you want him spraying his stinky pee all over your walls, electronics, rugs, EVERYTHING? Do you want him dashing out the door in pursuit of females and end up run over by a car or fighting with other males? Will it be OK with you when he ends up with testicular cancer later in life?Kittens can be spayed/neutered as early as EIGHT WEEKS so get him done ASAP.