I have a 18 month old male chihuahuah.. Is it o late to neuter him?

Is there even any point in neutering him he's my only dog and isn't he too old to old to get neutered.. I'm really scared to put him in that pain and I wouldn't want him to go through surgery.

Is there even any point in neutering him he's my only dog and isn't he too old to old to get neutered.. I'm really scared to put him in that pain and I wouldn't want him to go through surgery....
    General Dog Discussions : I have a 18 month old male chihuahuah.. Is it o late to neuter him?...

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• I have a 18 month old male chihuahuah.. Is it o late to neuter him?

I have a 18 month old male chihuahuah.. Is it o late to neuter him? General Dog Discussions
      Is there even any point in neutering him he's my only dog and isn't he too old to old to get neutered.. I'm really scared to put him in that pain and I wouldn't want him to go through surgery.

I have a 18 month old male chihuahuah.. Is it o late to neuter him? General Dog Discussions
    • they can use an anesthetic on your dog, he wont feel a thing. he may act a little different for a few months, but he'll be back to normal in no time. He's not too old, but if you dont see a point in neutering him, then there's no need to. I know I wouldn't want to be neutered for no reason.

• No its never too late to neuter him, however, it depends on whether you want to or not.If this dog is well behaved and shows no signs of dominance, and if you never ever allow him to wander off your property etc then he doesn't need to be done. But.... it really isn't too late. They can be neutered at any age, and with a large dog then it is recommended they are not done until about 18 months old when they have physically matured a little.

• Call a vet and ask. It shouldn't be too late. I know someone who had a dog neutered at about the age of three. I had a cat spayed at the age of five. The point to getting it done would be so that he couldn't get out and get some other dog pregnant. You can't rely on everyone else to spay their females.And what if you decide to adopt a female later, but don't want puppies. Point is, it is not too late. You just have to decide what is best for your situation and decide what the risks and pros and cons really are.

• It is never too late too neuter a dog. He might act differently for a while while he adjusts. They use anesthesia during the procedure. As I understand its not painful, as much as it is itchy to them afterwards.

• No it is not too late to desex him and for his health it is probably better that you do it as soon as possible. It is never too late to desex an animal but the effects on their behaviour will be reduced the older they get. In general, desexing a male will reduce the raging testoterone hormones which will be going through his body, it will reduce the chance of him having conflict with other entire male dogs and it will also reduce the chances of him developing prostate cancer. Males tend to become more relaxed and sometimes not find the need to spray on furniture or trees.They will be under a general ansaethetic during the procedure and will not feel anything, for males it is not a typically painful surgery as the testicles are removed with one incision compared to females who need a more invasive surgery. The first day after surgery he may be groggy and tired and sensitive in his private areas and if you are hestitate to look after him, im sure your vet can keep him overnight for you. Your vet may also provide you with some painkillers, but this is not typically needed for a desexing surgery.