How much will be the overall cost to keep a 10 year old dog?

i am planning to get a puppy but my parents say it is going to cost too much i would like to know how much it would cost for shots, deworming, flees,ect

i am planning to get a puppy but my parents say it is going to cost too much i would like to know how much it would cost for shots, deworming, flees,ect...
    General Dog Discussions : How much will be the overall cost to keep a 10 year old dog?...

• How much will be the overall cost to keep a 10 year old dog?

How much will be the overall cost to keep a 10 year old dog? General Dog Discussions
      i am planning to get a puppy but my parents say it is going to cost too much i would like to know how much it would cost for shots, deworming, flees,ect

How much will be the overall cost to keep a 10 year old dog? General Dog Discussions
    • I suggest a puppy. A 10 year old dog will not live nearly as long, and that's when the genetic problems show up. The dog may start limping soon, and have trouble getting around. Older dogs are cheaper from the shelter for the ADOPTION fee, because they won't live as long.A puppy is a fresh start. It is like taking in a newborn to your family, or a 10 year old child into your family... Puppies usually cost more, because they are a high demand. They will live much longer, and the dog or puppy should come spayed/neutered, vetted, and ready to go. Different shelters charge different adoption fees.

• Are you asking about a 10 month old dog? Question says senior dog, explanation says puppy. It doesn't really matter, either will cost about the same in the long run. Both will need food. The bigger the dog, the bigger that cost will be. My 65 pound hound goes through about one 35 lb bag of food a month. The dog will need shots and a yearly heart worm test, and heartworm meds. Altogether, you can figure about $200 for these. If it's a puppy, it's a good idea to take it to obedience school-this makes pet ownership a lot easier. This costs $50-100. If you plan to go on vacation while you own the dog, you will need to either board it or have a pet sitter. Older dogs (which yours will eventually be even if it is a puppy now) get arthritis and other health problems requiring vet care. Younger dogs have accidents which can stain carpet, and some chew up your stuff (shoes, socks, other belongings), so this can cost. Bottom line, pet ownership is expensive if you plan to take good care of your pet. This definitely needs to be considered before getting a dog.