What shots does my 10 week old puppy need?

My Maltese puppy is 10 weeks old. I'm taking her to the vet tomorrow, what should I expect?

My Maltese puppy is 10 weeks old. I'm taking her to the vet tomorrow, what should I expect?...
    General Dog Discussions : What shots does my 10 week old puppy need?...

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• What shots does my 10 week old puppy need?

What shots does my 10 week old puppy need? General Dog Discussions
      My Maltese puppy is 10 weeks old. I'm taking her to the vet tomorrow, what should I expect?

What shots does my 10 week old puppy need? General Dog Discussions
    • A DLPP, distemper, leptospirosis (may cause your pup to be VERY sore and tender afterward), parvo and parainfluenza at minimum. It's all in one shot I think. Then she may get an adenovirus or corona virus too. If this is her first set of shots, then she'll go again in a month and then again in another month then for her rabies at 16 weeks in there somewhere. Make sure you take a stool sample with you, and for about $20 they'll tell you if there are any parasites and or worms and give you a medication for that. They'll take blood for a hearworm test cause you can't give your pup the meds to prevent heartworm unless they test negative. Then they'll sell you flea/tick stuff and heartworm meds. They are usually expensive at the vet. Get a prescription for what they want you to use and order them online at either http://www.canadavet.com or http://www.petcarerx.com They sell good stuff at better prices. I've used them both and never had problems. All in all, it shoud be a $200 day. Then just shots in a month and again.

• In the US, basic puppy vaccines are Distemper, Adenovirus type 2, Parainfluenza and Parvo. Corona and Leptovirus vaccines may be recommended as well depending on where you are located. Boosters are going to generally be given in 2-3 weeks and then again around 16 weeks of age. Somewhere between 10-16 weeks of age (depending on local laws) your puppy must have a rabies vaccine.Your vet will also run a fecal sample to check for intestinal parasites which are common in pups and are a hazard to both puppies and humans. Puppies should generally be put on a preventative deworming program until your vet starts them on a monthly heartworm prevetative. Picking up feces out of your yard is important for preventing reinfection or possible infection of people with GI parasites like hookworms and roundworms. http://www.cdc.gov/healthypets/Merial_CDCBroch_rsgWEB.pdfAt 10 weeks of age, your pup is too young for heartworm testing to be valid so your vet won't need to draw blood. He will probably go ahead and start your pup on a heartworm preventative either this trip or at the next set of boosters. If you have any questions, take the time to write them down before you go to the vet's office. People often forget them once they get in the exam room. A pen and notepad is also a good idea during the appointment to write down any recommendations your vet makes.