What are good reasons to have a male dog neutered?

My husband doesn't want our long haired daschund fixed. But I understand it is healthier, is it?

My husband doesn't want our long haired daschund fixed. But I understand it is healthier, is it?...
    General Dog Discussions : What are good reasons to have a male dog neutered?...

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• What are good reasons to have a male dog neutered?

What are good reasons to have a male dog neutered? General Dog Discussions
      My husband doesn't want our long haired daschund fixed. But I understand it is healthier, is it?

What are good reasons to have a male dog neutered? General Dog Discussions
    • No, not healthier. I've known dogs left intact that never bred and never had any problems, and lived well into their teen years, though they had very responsible owners that could make sure their dogs never bred. Most people can't do that. Your husband has issues if he ties his manhood to whether or not a dog has testicles. I bet this wasn't his only instance of insecurity with his own manhood. The only reason to neuter is to not risk adding the the unwanted pet overpopulation. Tell your husband the dog is getting fixed and that's final.

• Decreased aggression, decreased roaming, makes your male more calmer,increase concentrating, no testicular tumors,improved genetics, fewer hernias, fewer perianal tumors,fewer prostate problems :)

• to be honest there arent really any health issues i mean you dont get a man done and they are all fine and healthy! One of my dogs got done and the other one isnt now i found that it changes there personality in some animals if they are done. The vets will convince everyone to get there dog done so they have a chance of reducing the amount of unwanted puppies that are born also they say it reduces the chance of testicle cancer or something but if they get done how can they get that so its all lies and if i was you i would leave your dog and let him be natural the way he was suppose to be. My dog is 2 and he is a lab and he isnt done it makes no difference to there personality if there not done nor there health. please dont get your dog done its unatural and all the vets want is your money!!!!!

• It puts his chance of cancer of the tesicles to 0%. It will make him over all calmer as he will not have so much testosterone flowing through his body.He will be frustrated sexully which if not controlled can cause behaviour problems.Say to your husband he can't get the cancer and that how would he like it if he had a strong erge to have sex but couldn't ever do it. How horrible would that be for him? It's like putting a big steak infront of your dog and saying you can't have it but it's ten times worse.

• Not necessarily. There are some health issues that are MORE likely if he is neutered, especially at a young age. I suggest you research the topic and decide what is best for your situation. To me the only reason you need to neuter a male is if you are too irresponsible to keep him from roaming and/or impregnating females.

• the main reason is so he cant reproduce. but it also helps with them from running off. i aint never heard its healthier. i have a male dog. 3yr old bull boxer i want him fixed but i dont. i want him fixed so he wont run off as much but i dont want to take his pride away. plus all the female dogs around my house has been fixed

• If your dog is not going to run loose and have the chance to mate then you do not need to neuter him. The Journal of Veterinary Medical Association has published a few articles that say if you do neuter him you may want to wait until the growth plates in his bones close (at maturity). Obviously neutered dogs don't get testicular cancer or prostate disease but that is a rare dog problem. If he gets either problem you can have him neutered at the time. Dogs can be neutered at any age. A recent PetSmart survey said that 50% of people who planned to neuter their cat or dog had accidental litters. If there are 50 million cats and 60 million dogs in the USA (estimates form Pet Pop Project) and only half are neutered, that means 12 million cats and 15 million dogs had litters averaging about 4 babies EACH. This was not all in the same year or we'd be buried by puppies and kittens. The point is, you have no idea what it is like to work in a rescue or shelter and have to find homes for these babies and kill the adults that no one wants. Millions every year are just killed because there are soooooooo many. If you have any doubt about keeping your dog away from females in heat (it will drive him CRAZY and he will do ANYTHING to get to them) then have him neutered. One good thing about neutering is that the dog is less likely to lift his leg on furniture in the house and that can be a real problem.

• i have many reasons and im so happy people are open to this :D1) if u dont nuter him he could mateevery time a puppy is born it takes the home of a shelter dog, we have enough dogs in this world. In my oppinion people who dont nuter/ spay might as well go to a shelter look at 8-11 different dogs and say "sorry buddy but i want to breed so u can stay here and be uthenized , sucks for you but OH well !" (sorry if its harsh but its true, im not meaning to rag on u srry ....)2) You remove the chances of testicular cancers3) dogs are more calm 4) they lead calmer lifes, their instincts will sece to say " HUMP THE COUCH COZ I TELL U TO" so they wont be nervous (lamo, just a joke but its true) 5) they will have no urge to be dominatnt

• If it was healthier to castrate a male, male dogs would have died out years ago. Basically there is no data to support this. However, if a dog has undescended testicles, then yes, he needs to be castrated because eventually the testicle will become cancerous.It is possible a male dog might develop testicular cancer even if they are in the right place. Likewise with prostate cancer. However, I've lived with entire males all my life with my own breed. I had to have two castrated in later life because of non-cancer prostate problems but that's all. My line lived long lives, usually above the norm for my breed - and they didn't die from male-related cancers, any of them.Castration will only prevent puppies - the rest is a lottery. There is a lot of information, the pros and cons for castration if you search but all I would ask is if you decide to go ahead, you wait until your puppy is at least a year, better 18 months, before you do it, to give him a chance to mature a bit, to decide whether castration is going to help (training should always be preferred to neutering a male), or not. Otherwise you will risk living with an immature puppy for the whole of his life.ps Human males always resist having their dogs castrated!!! LOLAdd - Contrary to popular belief, normal, healthy, well kept male DOGS do not live their lives in a state of sexual frustration. Once used at stud, they may well be looking for the next one, but having lived with my males, I can guarantee unlike human males (and even then, by no means all of 'em) dogs do not have 'urges' - unless presented with a hot b itch..... and even then, some will turn tail and run!!!

• If you cannot keep your dog from roaming and impregnating other females, or if you plan on introducing a female dog to the house, you are better off getting him neutered. Its not necessarily healthier. Yes, it completely reduces, or eliminates the risk of certain diseases, but it also slightly increases the chance of others. Neither is to an extreme extent however, so either way, I wouldn't worry about it. Your main concern should simply be if you can contain an intact dog. I personally wouldn't feel comfortable with one because I hate the idea of one trying to escape to go mate with another dog and getting hit by a car or something, so I'd go ahead and get the operation done. But other owners don't mind having an intact dog, and are responsible enough to find ways to prevent it from breeding, so they don't bother with the operation.HOWEVER, it may be unlawful for you to keep an intact dog in your jurisdiction. In my neighborhood, we have a spay/neuter law so I had to get my pets altered. Luckily, I was fine with the idea seeing as they are all outdoor pets and I didn't want to have to worry about them roaming anyhow (we already lost more than a few due to this reason).ADD:"a male dog has a lesser chance of getting cancer if you breed it once before neutering, its not really healthier, its supposed to make them calmer but doesnt always work like that. hope this helps."I don't mean to be rude but I know this answer is completely false so please ignore it. Do not breed your dog based on this idea. It has been proven false before.

• most people have no idea have to train and contain a intact malehelps with aggressionhelps with not having to tie up when in heat female in areahelps with health problemshelps with living longertalk to your vetno reason to keep a pet quality dog intact.