I'm expecting a baby, should I neuter my dog?

My dog is 6 yrs old and a little too aggressive, I don't know how he'll react when we'll bring home our baby. I was wondering if we neuter him would his behavior change for better.

My dog is 6 yrs old and a little too aggressive, I don't know how he'll react when we'll bring home our baby. I was wondering if we neuter him would his behavior change for better....
    General Dog Discussions : I'm expecting a baby, should I neuter my dog?...

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• I'm expecting a baby, should I neuter my dog?

I'm expecting a baby, should I neuter my dog? General Dog Discussions
      My dog is 6 yrs old and a little too aggressive, I don't know how he'll react when we'll bring home our baby. I was wondering if we neuter him would his behavior change for better.

I'm expecting a baby, should I neuter my dog? General Dog Discussions
    • HiFrom what you said getting your dog neutered is the best course of action. We are due to book my dog in Rowan who is two as it is supposed to help calm them down. Dogs can change when going through with it but if he calms down this will probably be the best thing for you and your family. From now on start to be strict with your dog, setting rules and boundaries as this will help your dog to realise who is in charge. But try the neutering as well along side being strict and commanding.Hope all goes well, good luck::)

• At this age for a fully intact dog, neutering him wont make any difference to his behaviour because he has learnt this way to act. Something has made him aggressive & your best bet is to identify the cause & then deal with the cause. Like humans learn good & bad, it is the same for your dog.

• Bitter Apple spray can prevent chewing or getting in trash. It causes no pain but has an awful taste. Most pet stores and vet clinics sell it, and is reasonably priced.Vapo-rub, purchased from a pharmacy or drug-store, will do the trick with most dogs but it depends on the amount of ground you're hoping to cover.

• Neutering *may* help your dog be a little more manageable, but at his age, it may not have an affect on his behavior. Neutering, however, would be the right choice, regardless. Neutering will not only decrease his chances of prostate cancer down the road, it will make him less likely to wander, and a roaming dog is a dog that meets other animals that could hurt him or gets hit by a car. Dogs WILL wander in search of a mate.Best of luck.

• Neutering probably won't change his behavior much if at all. However it wouldn't hurt. You need to get a trainer to help with your dogs aggression to see what causes it and figure out ways to prevent it

• Removing his testes will not result in a better trained dog. Take him to obedience classes and practice the lessons.If you can't teach a dog, heaven help you try to teach a child.

• Yes, it can help,but you also need to get him into obedience classes and expose him to as many well-behaved,gentle children as you can ( muzzled,if needed). Also place baby things around the house,use baby lotion, powder,etc,on your skin and leave diapers and clothes laying out. If you have a friend with a baby ,borrow a few pieces of clothing that the baby has worn and also a few diapers that have baby urine on them. Play sounds of a baby so he gets used to it and carry a life-like doll around ( wear the worn baby clothes and diaper on it). Let him sniff it but only when he is calm and quietly sitting. Praise him if he remains calm and gentle. Place baby lotion,etc on the doll,as well. NEVER leave the dog alone with the baby,EVER.