How old is too old to neuter a dog?

I have a 8 year old schnauzer who was never neutered. I am wondering if he is too old to be neutered. Would it be dangerous to neuter him since he is already 8 years old?I've always heard that it is best to neuter/spay dogs or cats when they are young.

I have a 8 year old schnauzer who was never neutered. I am wondering if he is too old to be neutered. Would it be dangerous to neuter him since he is already 8 years old?I've always heard that it is best to neuter/spay dogs or cats when they are young....
    General Dog Discussions : How old is too old to neuter a dog?...

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• How old is too old to neuter a dog?

How old is too old to neuter a dog? General Dog Discussions
      I have a 8 year old schnauzer who was never neutered. I am wondering if he is too old to be neutered. Would it be dangerous to neuter him since he is already 8 years old?I've always heard that it is best to neuter/spay dogs or cats when they are young.

How old is too old to neuter a dog? General Dog Discussions
    • In my opinion it is never too late to get a dog neutered. It can help prevent prostate issues. It would be a good idea to talk it over with your veterinarian. And since your dog is older, most vets would do bloodwork just to check his liver and kidney function. The bloodwork shows if he is healthy enough for anaesthesia.It is normally recommended that animals are fixed when they are young and that's because of hormones and also behaviors that they develop once reaching sexual maturity. Just like males can get aggressive once they start developing testosterone. So remove the source of the testosterone before it can affect the animal, and it potentially won't be aggresive. But that doesn't mean an older dog can't be neutured. There are still many benefits.

• Age is not a disease. If your schnauzer is otherwise healthy enough to go under anesthesia, then go for it! Talk to your vet about potential risks and complications in order to make an informed decision.

• Nope there is never too old, i had to recomed a neuter on a 12 year old yorkie because the dog had a testicle that felt strange. (larger and harder then the other normal testie) Since i work for a vet he agreeded with my finding and the dog was neutered a few days later. the removed testie was filled with cancer. Dogs that are not neutered can also get prostrait cancer or enlargment. Fix your dog and be happier for it.Fry

• Yes it is best to do it when they're young, but some times they're not, I myself had a 6yr old female who wasn't spayed until then. Basically the vet told me if the dog or cat is in good health there will be no problems. They will do a check up making sure everything is functioning well and go from there