Does getting your dog nudered make them less agressive?

I'm trying to decide whether to get him nudered, i heard they gain alot of weight.

I'm trying to decide whether to get him nudered, i heard they gain alot of weight....
    General Dog Discussions : Does getting your dog nudered make them less agressive?...

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Does getting your dog nudered make them less agressive?

Does getting your dog nudered make them less agressive? General Dog Discussions
      I'm trying to decide whether to get him nudered, i heard they gain alot of weight.

Does getting your dog nudered make them less agressive? General Dog Discussions
    • You may need to adjust his food intake and amount of exercise after neutering. No, it will not make him less aggressive if he is already aggressive. It may prevent it though, if he is not.Neutering is the best option for a dog who is not breeding quality.

• Neutering can reduce male aggression,urine marking and most importantly greatly reduce the chance of the dog developing cancer or helping produce unwanted pups.

• Makes him less territoral perhaps and certainly less apt to fight other males for females or to go wandering "looking for love".Doesn't really make a nasty dog nice - if you raise your dog properly, train him (might need obedience classes if he is very alpha), and socialize him properly, he will definitely be a much nicer do, especially neutered.

• I had my lab done cos he was aggressive with just 2 other particular dogs we saw regularly on walks. This was about 18 months ago. His attitude to these 2 other dogs hasnt changed - but he hasnt put on weight. Apart from these 2 dogs hes fine. I'd advise you not to do it.

• Healthy dogs do not gain weight after being neutered. I have had many neutered males in my lifetime that maintained their weight just fine. It doesn't make and aggressive dog less aggressive, but it will prevent hormonally driven aggression. It is an all around good idea.

• Yes it will make them less aggressive especially towards other males. It makes them less territorial, cuts down on marking everything, and prevents cancer. It is a great deal healthier for them physically and emotionally. They lose the urge to mate, and roam as well. I have 2 nuetered males and not one gained any weight after the surgery.

• When it comes to male dogs, the greatest benefit to neutering is that is cuts down on roaming. Intact male dogs can sniff out a female in heat from virtually miles away. The male dog can be so driven by this scent that he will do anything he can – dig under the fence, run across busy streets and dodge cars (if lucky), as well as get into scraps with other dogs or cats, in order to get to her. “Once dogs establish a habit of roaming for whatever reason motivates them, it is hard to break that habit,” reports Mike Richards, DVM. Other negative behaviours curtailed by neutering include leg humping, jumping as well as urine marking, aggression towards other male dogs and/or territorial aggression, all of which are related to the high levels of testosterone present in the adolescent male dog. Neutering has also proven to shrink the prostate “thus preventing both prostatitis as well as the uncomfortable benign hyperplasia (enlargement) that occurs with aging,” according to the Mar Vista Animal Medical Center. Certain types of hernias, testicle and anus tumours are also prevented by neutering. Many owners come up with any number of excuses to avoid spaying/neutering their dogs. These include the belief that their dog will become fat and lazy following the operation. “The truth is that most pets get fat and lazy because their owners feed them too much and don’t give them enough exercise,”

• Neutered dogs don't gain wait because they get neutered. Too much food and lack of exercise will do that to a dog, neutered or intact.Neutering a dog before he is six months old may allow him to grow larger than he would if he neutered later on if at all.

• yes, you should get him nuder. you heard they gained a lot of weight. i nuder my dog and she gained weight as she got older and i think they might gain weight as they get older. so nuder your dog or you will get more dogs.