How much do you usually charge when you want to stud out a dog?

I have a male pug I want to stud out but I am totally clueless on what people usually charge.

I have a male pug I want to stud out but I am totally clueless on what people usually charge....
    General Dog Discussions : How much do you usually charge when you want to stud out a dog?...

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• How much do you usually charge when you want to stud out a dog?

How much do you usually charge when you want to stud out a dog? General Dog Discussions
      I have a male pug I want to stud out but I am totally clueless on what people usually charge.

How much do you usually charge when you want to stud out a dog? General Dog Discussions
    • Depends on the animals lineage? Is it registered? There are several factors, what are the animals markings? Health? Stable temperament? Is it atleast 2 years in age? You may have to provide documentation to any genetic issues that may arise. After all that has been established, the fees associated with the breeding can be determined. You should be paid 50% prior to the first mating or insemination, and 50% prior to litter registration papers being signed.

• Go buy a registered dog if you truly want to do stud. Show him and finish him, have all of his health tests done, and then sit back and wait, because usually only a very few stud dogs are ever used more than 2 or 3 times in their life time. I have a prospective stud dog. He is 22 months. We still have 2 more months to go before we can have his hips X-rayed. He can't stud before that test is done. I spent over $1,000 for him, I've entered him in numerous shows to finish him, probably to the equivalent of $500 for show entry fees, and that doesn't include gas and travel expenses, that's probably another $4,000 or so. Now he comes from top lines and he finished in less than 6 months of showing. Some dogs show for 2 or 3 years before they finish. I also handled him completely myself. A handler would cost you about another $50 a show, and that's if you show up with him, if you have the handler keep him, those costs just keep going up. His hip x-rays will cost another $200-$400, his DNA test was $25, etc. etc. He still needs to eat like any other dog, so there's that expense, and there's vet care, and there's grooming, etc. It never really ends.Since my boy has never produced a litter, because he's not old enough yet and the tests have not been done, we've yet to see if everything works out. It may not, he may be sterile. That would be the end of the stud fee story. If things work out, the first 5 litters or so, will be a puppy from the litter, probably pick of the litter by the 5th breeding. After that we may go to the price of one puppy, i.e. $1000 for the stud. That is if the puppies that he has previously produced are growing up to be as good or better than he is. That depends alot on my choice of who I let him breed with, if I don't choose well, it reflects poorly on him and no one else asks us to stud. End of the stud fee story there too.It really doesn't get much better than that. He may have 5 years of breeding in him, if he stays in perfect health, and I wouldn't recommend breeding more than once a month. He will still need to be neutered after everything is said and done to protect him from prostate cancer, and he still gets to live out the rest of his life on your couch, and eat your food, and see the vet, etc. Studding dogs and raising litters is not a profit maker, it never has been, when done the RIGHT way!

• does your dog have it's health clearances? it should before being bred at all, as should the dog you choose to "stud" him to.If you're dog is from a reputable breeder, has champion bloodlines, has his own titles, is from a pet store, etc...all of this matters. So it would depend on what his background is.If hes from a pet store, not health checked (OFA'ed at the very least), and not titled, I'd say $200 maximum.If he's from a decent breeder, has champion lineage (at LEAST 10 or more in his pedigree) you can up it to about $350.Now, if he's titled himself, has champion lines, is from a breeder, and has been health checked, you could probably get over $500. But be wary of the female you choose! You need two healthy, happy, quality dogs to make great puppies.(ALSO:FYI: - you should NOT breed him if hes from a pet store, a non-reputable breeder (puppymill or a BYB), not health checked, and doesnt have at least champion parents. thats what rescued pugs are for)