Is it true that dogs go off to die?

My 14yr old Dalmation has been gone since at least 4:30pm & we can't find him. His legs haven't been working very well for some time. The vet said he had prostate cancer 3 yrs ago & wouldn't live 8mo. but he has. I know he has heart worms & only found…

My 14yr old Dalmation has been gone since at least 4:30pm & we can't find him. His legs haven't been working very well for some time. The vet said he had prostate cancer 3 yrs ago & wouldn't live 8mo. but he has. I know he has heart worms & only found…...
    General Dog Discussions : Is it true that dogs go off to die?...

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Is it true that dogs go off to die?

Is it true that dogs go off to die? General Dog Discussions
      My 14yr old Dalmation has been gone since at least 4:30pm & we can't find him. His legs haven't been working very well for some time. The vet said he had prostate cancer 3 yrs ago & wouldn't live 8mo. but he has. I know he has heart worms & only found out 1yr ago & the treatment for an older dog was iffy especially since you have to keep them still for 6wks & we have 5 other dogs to get him excited, his age, cancer, etc... We are surrounded by woods but his legs don't work very well & he doesn't do steps at all. It's very cold outside right now & I don't know what to do. Could he have went off to die? Everyone is telling me that. I can't stand the thought of him freezing to death. We've been out there for hours & can't find him. Can someone give me an answer or something else to do? I just wish I could find him. I watched this dog being born, I just wish I could be with him in his final day.

Is it true that dogs go off to die? General Dog Discussions
    • Most animals will go off alone to both give birth and die. look under house or other favorite place of the dog - it may be curled up there. Unusual to go off into the cold tho. Best of luck.

• Well from the condition the dog was in he could not have gone far, did you look under the table or in a closet? Far as I know the only place dogs go off to die, is the vet's office where you should take them when they are in alot of pain and their is no chance of recovery.

• check the ditches along the road.. call your local SPCA or humane society (where ever lost dogs are taken) and the vets in the area too...typically dogs only "go off to die" if their brains are not functioning well.. other wise they usually fight death and prefer to remain some place they know is safe/ familiardogs kept in fenced yards cannot "go off to die"I hope you can find him.. are there dug outs where you are or ponds he might have fallen in?

• i am sorry to say but my neighbors dog did the same thing and he was really sick like yours and never came back.... i hope for you and your dog thats not the case.sorry i cant be much of help. god bless

• When I was little our cocker spaniel went away to die. The police or animal control found him. He never wandered until that point. I hope you find him, one way or the other. He may not want you to be around. I feel the way you do about my animals whether I have had them from birth or not. I think that animals do go way from everyone to give birth <if we let them> or to die.

• He may have gone out and gotten too cold ,and his legs may have given out.Or he may have become disoriented.I would try looking again,and if you don't find him,put an add in the paper,and put up flyers.You never know, someone could have found him.I once had a beagle mix who was blind,and he got out one day and disappeared.Of course we thought he would get killed or lost,being blind.Two days later,here comes Snoopy,walking (slowly) through the yard.His nose had brought him home! But I don't know how he avoided being hit by a car.Anyway,I sincerely hope you find your dog.Put some of his favorite strong -smelling treats around the area;maybe he will find them and come home.Keep hoping.I will say a prayer that he comes home to you.

• Sadly, It is true. A few weeks before our golden retriver died almost 8yrs ago he kept going under this tree in the yard. He knew his end was near and that's where he was choosing he wanted to pass on/ Has your dog been going to the same place over and over again for the last few days? I'm sorry he has gone missing. It's nice to see people who love their dogs. I love my dogs so much. Their like family now. I'm so sorry for your loss.