What is the best brand of chip for my dog?

I have a new puppy and would like to get a chip for her. I am a first time user so any other info about the chip would be great.

I have a new puppy and would like to get a chip for her. I am a first time user so any other info about the chip would be great....
    General Dog Discussions : What is the best brand of chip for my dog?...

• What is the best brand of chip for my dog?

What is the best brand of chip for my dog? General Dog Discussions
      I have a new puppy and would like to get a chip for her. I am a first time user so any other info about the chip would be great.

What is the best brand of chip for my dog? General Dog Discussions
    • The two top ones are AVID and Home Again. Both cost the same and stuff so I would check with your vet and shelter. Which one do they administer and which one do they have a scanner for? Do they have a Universal Scanner?Personally I'd go with Home Again because it comes with a tag so even if the numbers rub off and the shelter/vet doesn't have a scanner, the distinct tag will let them know. You could also get AVID then a metal tag out of those vending machines and putting that the dog is chipped with AVIDI'm not sure about AVID but Home Again has an annual registration fee I think (you pay for the chip and pay for registration).

• A lot of it has to do with which kind your vet carries.All the vets in my area carry the AVID, so that's what all the dogs have.Here are the mechanics of chipping: The vet has the dog stand on it's hind legs with his front paws on you. The syringe which has the chip in it has a large needle. They stick the dog between the shoulder blades and the chip goes in. Then, they check it with a reader to make sure it's active. You are sent home with paperwork and stickers that have your chip number on them (to be put in a safe place). You fill out the paperwork and send in a fee to register the dog & chip - I think AVID is $18.95 for one dog. I have my vet check the chip everytime I take them in to make sure it's still active.