3 week old puppy has a hard lump on its neck. What could this be?

One of my new puppies has a hard lump on its neck. It didnt have this 2 days ago, but I didn't pick it up yesterday, so I don't know if it develope yesterday or today. It is on the left side, kinda in the front. It is hard and doesn't mush in. It doesn't…

One of my new puppies has a hard lump on its neck. It didnt have this 2 days ago, but I didn't pick it up yesterday, so I don't know if it develope yesterday or today. It is on the left side, kinda in the front. It is hard and doesn't mush in. It doesn't…...
    General Dog Discussions : 3 week old puppy has a hard lump on its neck. What could this be?...

• 3 week old puppy has a hard lump on its neck. What could this be?

3 week old puppy has a hard lump on its neck. What could this be? General Dog Discussions
      One of my new puppies has a hard lump on its neck. It didnt have this 2 days ago, but I didn't pick it up yesterday, so I don't know if it develope yesterday or today. It is on the left side, kinda in the front. It is hard and doesn't mush in. It doesn't appear to have an entry place, like if it were a bite of some kind. It almost looks like it would be some type of abcess or boil. Any ideas what this could be? Since this puppy is with the mother and its litter mates, I can't imagine that it would be a bug bite.Oh, I don't know if I really feel comfortable sticking a needle in that little puppy. I am afraid I would really hurt her.This puppy us just going to turn 3 weeks tomorrow, so it hasn't had vaccines yet. So I know it isn't that. It is up off the ground in a welping kennel, but it does have an opening at the front where the mom can run out into the air, so I can't be sure that some type of bug didn't bit her.My husband had a dog one time that developed something like this on its neck, though it was alot older than this dog, and when I took it to my vet, she lanced it and puss and blood came out. She said that it was an abcess of some type, but she wasn't sure what could have caused it. I just wonder if this could be the same type of thing. But she sedated this other dog, but I don't know if a puppy this age could be sedated to lance that, if that is even what needs to be done.

3 week old puppy has a hard lump on its neck. What could this be? General Dog Discussions
    • shave the area and see if it is inflamed. If it is, open it with a sterilized pin and gently press...if puss comes out, you have a boil on your hands...take her/him to a vet. This can be very bad if staph infection has set in. Good luck and love.

• An abscess would be the first thing I would suspect, but I would get him in and get him checked out. If it is an abscess, it would be Best to get that thing opened up and cleaned out.

• Have you had it vaccinated lately? Sometimes after shots the area swells into a lump under the skin. You usually just have to massage it out. Obviously don't try to rub it out if its not where a vaccination was though!

• I used to breed my 2 mini dachshunds and in the last litter they had, I had a pup that developed a hard lump also. The pup was about 4 or 5 weeks old. The lump wasn't in the same location though. Hers was on her underside and down toward her vulva. When I took her to the vet, she said it was a hernia. Some pups, like her are born with them. At first I was told she would need surgery. We waited a couple of weeks so she could put on some weight because of the risk from surgery. When we took her back for her sugery, the hernia had closed up on its own. Sometimes they fix themselves, but not always. I am not sure if a hernia can develop in the neck area. I also know that pups develop a hard lump after receiving vaccines. Good luck!

• This could be a few thngs but the best course of action is the vet. Don't try to operate on the puppy yourself. Is it tender to the touch? That would give you a good indication if it is an abcess or infection. No need to open the wound. If you do, it could create an infection. The vet will be better able to determine the cause.