How old should a male puppy be before getting fixed?

I have a 12 week old puppy I adopted from the pound and they want to fix him at 14 weeks. Is this to young?

How old should a male puppy be before getting fixed?

I have a 12 week old puppy I adopted from the pound and they want to fix him at 14 weeks. Is this to young?...
    General Dog Discussions : How old should a male puppy be before getting fixed?...

• Hey there. It can depend on the breed - a larger dog may need a bit more time, and a smaller dog will be just fine. Good for you for neutering!Links aren't working, but if you do a sarch for "ASPCA + spay/neuter" you'll get more detailed information. Good luck!

• go to : http://search.live.com/results.aspx?srch=105&FORM=IE7RE&q=spaying+puppies and check out some of these sights, this is too important to listen to someones opinion with out you seeing the facts from the source. you need to get in touch with your local vet.

• Yes, 14 weeks is too young. You should let your dog go until about 6-9 months of age, they are not as gangly and they grow into their personalities more when you wait to fix them. Also around 6 months is when the males get their first "heat cycle" and after getting neutered the chances of cancer and other such problems decrease. Also, when you neuter your dog, it makes them want to stay closer to home, they have a less of a chance wandering the neighborhood looking for a playmate!

• General rule of thumb with a lot of vets these days is four months or four pounds; whichever comes first. But not all vets will do pediatric neuters; some will want to wait until the dog is at least six months old. Talk to your vet and see what he/she prefers.