Is there an alternative to neutering in this situation?

We have a 2 year old hound dog who smells EVERYTHING. My sister came home from a friends's house who owns a couple golden retrievers (they are "fixed") and when she came home and the dog smelled her, he got "dominant" if you know what I mean. Any…

We have a 2 year old hound dog who smells EVERYTHING. My sister came home from a friends's house who owns a couple golden retrievers (they are "fixed") and when she came home and the dog smelled her, he got "dominant" if you know what I mean. Any…...
    General Dog Discussions : Is there an alternative to neutering in this situation?...

• Is there an alternative to neutering in this situation?

Is there an alternative to neutering in this situation? General Dog Discussions
      We have a 2 year old hound dog who smells EVERYTHING. My sister came home from a friends's house who owns a couple golden retrievers (they are "fixed") and when she came home and the dog smelled her, he got "dominant" if you know what I mean. Any suggestions besides neutering?

Is there an alternative to neutering in this situation? General Dog Discussions
    • well neutering is the best, but if you dont want him to go through the surgery there is a shot out that they inject into the testicals and it stop the production of semen, and in some cases testorone. but there is not always a sure thing if it will work with all dogs

• Why are you so opposed to neutering? Your dog will stop being so aggressive, will calm down, have a much less chance of getting prostate cancer, and wont be adding to the over dog population.Please be responsible and have your dog neutered

• neutering is your best choiceIt calms the aggression,if you know what i meanIf you can't afford it, contact friends for animals they help with the cost and you can use your own vet!

• neuter him. there is no alternative. Even if he is neutered he still may show signs of dominance. I have seen lots of neutered boy dogs try to get on to my little girl pug.

• I'd say discipline. Your letting him hump you????? I have 2 males here with me both are 85 to 90 pounds and they don't hump me or anyone else that comes into my home. Why??? Because I don't allow it, never did. Neither should you!

• Is there any reason you don't want to neuter? Remember, unless your dog is a champion show dog or a champion working dog, he shouldn't be bred EVER. If you are against neutering (and aren't going to breed him), then training classes are necessary. Actually, they are necessary even if you do neuter him. Get him into classes that will teach him 'leave it' and 'off' and how to mind you in general.

• A male dog is no different from any other dog. if you allow the dog to display signs of dominance, then that's what you'll get. But, for most people, the easiest choice is to have the dog neutered. There's no reason not to unless the dog is showing in conformation classes to keep the dog intact and it can prolong his life by helping him avoid some types of cancer.

• Well you can have a vasectomy done on a dog but it isn't going to stop this behavior and very very few vets can actually do that particular surgery (no reason to learn when neutering is so much easier and more common). What you need to do is take charge of your dog. He obviously feels that he is in charge if he thinks he can show ANY dominant behavior in front of you. Even my two-year-old VERY dominant intact (I do show him) male shepherd would NEVER dare to do something like that in front of me. Get your dog into some obedience classes and show him who is really in charge.For those of you asking why he isn't neutered, there IS a reason for waiting until the growth plates have fused (although this dog is past that age and I cannot say that this is the reason he is not altered). There have been studies done that show it is healthier for your dog (actually get less cancers, less chance of HD, less likely to have CCL rupture) whether it is male or female to be altered at around 14-18 months. The researchers actually recommend vasectomies and tubal ligations (with complete altering after the plates close) so that the dogs can have the hormones without breeding if the owner cannot handle an intact animal. Unfortunately, there are not many vets that can do these procedures. The article was written by Chris Zink, DVM, PhD. If anyone wants the article, feel free to e-mail me through this site or directly and I will send it to you. [email protected]

• No, even though this is a dominance behavior as well as a hormonal behavior the best thing is to get the dog neutered.Neutering is healthier for your dog. The longer he is intact the higher the risk of him getting testicular cancer, prostrate cancer and infections as well as anal fistuals.Vasectomies and tubal ligations are NOT recommended for dogs!!!!(most vets do in fact know how to do them) They can lead to some serious issues and they do NOT prevent cancers, infections or hormone driven behaviors. The study the other poster mentioned is extremely flawed and has no basis. Also leaving a dog intact does nOT prevent cancers, HD or acl/ccl ruptures..this is way off base. In reality just as many intact dogs, male and female have HD, acl/ccl as neutered/spayed dogs do..actually more. There are MANY intact dogs with HD or that carry for HD which is one BIG reason why it is highly recommended for dogs to be OFA/PennHip tested before entering a breeding program.ACL/CCL is very common in large/giant breeds that are very active..agility, flyball, etc..it makes no difference if they are altered or not.