my papilion (toy spaniel) is big for the breed what caused this?

most toy spaniels are small mine is a little bigger like medium size. she is pure breed but still compare her to other papilions and she's a giant

most toy spaniels are small mine is a little bigger like medium size. she is pure breed but still compare her to other papilions and she's a giant...
    General Dog Discussions : my papilion (toy spaniel) is big for the breed what caused this?...

• my papilion (toy spaniel) is big for the breed what caused this?

my papilion (toy spaniel) is big for the breed what caused this? General Dog Discussions
      most toy spaniels are small mine is a little bigger like medium size. she is pure breed but still compare her to other papilions and she's a giant

my papilion (toy spaniel) is big for the breed what caused this? General Dog Discussions
    • The fact that she is purebred does not automatically mean that she will be of average size for her breed. It is not uncommon for dogs to not meet their breed standards as they should. If her parents, or a dog or dogs somewhere in her pedigree, were too big (and therefore should not have been part of any breeding program), and those genes were passed down to her, then it's expected that she would be bigger than an average Papillon.

• And even in purebreds you have dogs who are over or under the standard. There is nothing wrong with them, but they are just over/undersized and are considered pet quality and should not be bred.Paps are to be 8-11 inches at the shoulder. So is she just a tall Pap or a heavy pap? If she's heavy then that a combo of genetic, lack of exercise and over feeding.

• lol so you have an over sized papillon too?Mine is a black & white male-yes a pure bred pap but he's 12 1/2 inches tall and 14 pounds....you can see he's too tall because of his too long legs....paps can get to be as large as 16 pounds! Mine is NOT overweight as the vet says he's perfect for his size and despite his being oversized he has not lost his dainty, delicate boned appearance...he just has it on a grander scale....BTW we rescued him from a BYB before she bred him and he was neutered withing two weeks of being re-homed with us...guess she figured out he did NOT conform to the breed statndard which is why she got him so cheaply from the breeder, and asked a cheap re-homing fee. Worth it to us to pay it rather than have him end up in a puppy mill-or worse.Papillons were bred down from larger dogs as all toy breeds are..and genetics can sometimes cause an over sized dog as well as an undersized (runt) despite the breeder's best efforts to conform her puppies to the breed's standards.This is what Deborah Wood, a pet columnist who competes with her own papillons, in her book "The New Owner's Guide to Papillons" writes....."On the other hand, older children and Papillons can be a wonderful combination. While most breeders strive for very small dogs(most show dogs are under 8 pounds) even carefull breeding will produce a puppy that's well over the 12-inch height maximum in the breed standard; these dogs may weigh 10 or even 15 pounds. If you are looking for a family pet, a dog that is over sized for the show ring can be a hearty, fun-loving companion for gentle children".I have read papillon books by other breeders, both american & european/british who often mention over sized paps as being not all that usual.So enjoy your baby as she is...I know I love my Pippin even tho he's 'ladder legged' , has one folded over ear tip,and is good arm full...he's healthy and a total love.....good luck.