How do I train a dog to stop peeing inside the house?

He gets to go outside, the backyard door is always open for him to go outside. he keeps peeing inside and what's worst is he goes inside the rooms to pee in there. one time he even went on my parent's bed to pee, my parents aren't animal lovers, let's…

He gets to go outside, the backyard door is always open for him to go outside. he keeps peeing inside and what's worst is he goes inside the rooms to pee in there. one time he even went on my parent's bed to pee, my parents aren't animal lovers, let's…...
    General Dog Discussions : How do I train a dog to stop peeing inside the house?...

• How do I train a dog to stop peeing inside the house?

How do I train a dog to stop peeing inside the house? General Dog Discussions
      He gets to go outside, the backyard door is always open for him to go outside. he keeps peeing inside and what's worst is he goes inside the rooms to pee in there. one time he even went on my parent's bed to pee, my parents aren't animal lovers, let's just put it that way so it wasn't a pretty picture after he did it. my sister tried to train him but he's still peeing everywhere, he's 8 months old. What can I do? Whenever I yell at him, he pees even more, you can't yell at him because he pees even more!! I have an older dog that I had since she was a puppy and she's always been well behaved..I don't know what to do with this dog anymore, my parents don't want him if he's going to keep peeing everywhere, Im getting him neutered, but I know that won't fixed the problem. the only reason we're keeping him is because we feel bad, he's cute and all but hes a pain in the butt..and it's not easy training this dog. What can I do???

How do I train a dog to stop peeing inside the house? General Dog Discussions
    • Dogs who have never been taught where to relieve themselves are really at a loss about what's expected of them. Usually they will look for any absorbent surface that is out of the way. A thorough housebreaking program is prevention-oriented. It consists of scheduled confinement, regular potty runs, monitored house time, regular meals, good health, obedience training, and proper handling of mistakes. The following rules will help you housebreak your dog. Until your dog is housebroken, he cannot be allowed to roam around the house unmonitored. When you're with him, you can tether him to his bed area or to you. Just be sure he doesn't tangle himself in his leash. If he is crate trained, use the crate for his naps, when it is too chaotic in your house to keep track of him, when you leave the house for three hours or less, or when you are sleeping, on the phone, or in the shower.If you must leave him for longer than three hours and you can't leave him outside, arrange for someone to come and let him out of his crate at two- to three-hour intervals for a half-hour potty run and leg stretch.Neutering does not house train a dog and can be down right dangerous to a his health!

• Neutering him actually may significantly help the problem. My dog had the same problem and pretty much stopped after neutering on his own and the rest was easy.Take him out every 2 hours on lead, so that if he has to go, he's going to do it outside. Don't play with him or give him any attention until he goes potty. When he goes potty outside, give him a treat IMMEDIATELY (like as soon as he assumes the position). When he has an accident inside and you catch him in the act, firmly tell him "no", and take him outside. When you're not home, keep him crated so that he doesn't have the opportunity to urinate inappropriately. When he gets better at not going in the house, start to take him out a little less often, like 2-3 hours. Continue to increase the time between potty breaks as he improves until he can wait until you take him outside to go.EDIT: Neutering is actually beneficial to your dog's health. Dogs that are unneutered are more likely to roam, and roaming dogs are dogs that get into trouble or get hit by cars. Neutering will also greatly decrease your dog's chances of developing reproductive diseases and cancers, like prostate cancer. See these articles:http://www.vetinfo.com/benefits-dog-neutering.html http://www.aspca.org/pet-care/spayneuter/spay-neuter-top-ten.aspx

• If you haven't taught him to potty outside correctly then you can't expect him to know what to do.Is he neutered? Unfixed males will begin to mark their territory inside the house if they aren't neutered by 6 months. If this is the case then get him fixed and the marking will stop. If she's female or a fixed male then you need to go back to housebreaking 101. Punishing during the housebreaking stage can make housebreaking difficult it can set you back and damage the dog. A dog cannot tell the difference between the act of going and the mess on the floor. If you punish after the fact then they are going to think you are mad at the mess so guess what, they hide the mess next time or go when you aren't watching. They can also become afraid of going in front of you and hold it when outside, as soon as they come inside and you aren't watching they'll pee.If you tried paper training and allowed the dog to potty inside on paper for a while then the dog thinks that inside is where they go.It's time to put your dog on a schedule, take out like clockwork every 2 hours and use a command word like potty time or lets' go potty and say it as you leash him/her up. Walk around the yard and say Go Potty over and over, when they do go reward with a treat and praise really well. Bring back inside and repeat again 2 hours later.Pick up water at 7 pm and do not feed after 5 pm. Make sure they get outside several more times before bed. Be consistent and get your dog on a schedule, dogs do well on schedules eventually you'll know when he/she has to go out.If the dog doesn't housebreak then you've only got yourself to blame for not training correctly.