Are there really any drawbacks to getting a large breed dog neutered?

I've read a few things on the internet that claim getting large breed dogs neutered can lead to increased cardiovascular problems, prostate cancer, and a variety of other issues. Is there really any truth to this?

I've read a few things on the internet that claim getting large breed dogs neutered can lead to increased cardiovascular problems, prostate cancer, and a variety of other issues. Is there really any truth to this?...
    General Dog Discussions : Are there really any drawbacks to getting a large breed dog neutered?...

• Are there really any drawbacks to getting a large breed dog neutered?

Are there really any drawbacks to getting a large breed dog neutered? General Dog Discussions
      I've read a few things on the internet that claim getting large breed dogs neutered can lead to increased cardiovascular problems, prostate cancer, and a variety of other issues. Is there really any truth to this?

Are there really any drawbacks to getting a large breed dog neutered? General Dog Discussions
    • The best person to ask would be owners of large breed dogs if they have seen any of these problemsOr your vet.I cannot imagine why getting castrated would cause cardio vascular problems as the 2 parts of the body are not connected. Thats like saying getting your toenails clipped will give you a headache...In all the years I have owned dogs, I haven't had ANY with heart problems or prostate problems and all my male dogs were neutered.I have had everything from AKC registered to basic mutts. No health issues.

• Yes there is truth to the fact that early spay/neuter especially in large breed dogs can increase the risk of certain health issues including those you have listed. Early spay/neuter means before full maturity which in a large breed dog is typically 18 to 24 months old. That is why many breeders of large breed dogs do not recommend altering until that age in males (in females it is a bit more complicated due to increased risk of mammary cancer after the first heat cycle and the risk of pyometria in unspayed females)ckn: the cardio vascular risks are in part because you are removing hormone secreting organs and the hormones they produce play a role in things other than sexual activity including muscle development (the heart being a muscle)

• I have actually read the opposite. That dogs will tend to have health problems like cancer when not spayed or neutered. To Mary N, why do you keep posting askusweb.com to every question you answer? If people wanted to go on that site for the answer to their questions they wouldn't bother posting here to begin with.

• Really difficult question to answer this - and to be honest I think you'd best read all you can and then take that responsibility yourself knowing that you are doing the best with the knowledge you have. There are so many professional opinions ranging from one end of the scale to the other.I personally wouldn't consider it for a young large breed dog, although my new foster in has just been done at 4 months (grrrrr) and yes I do worry about that. So I would say wait until they are about 12 months at least unless you have any major behavioral issues. Then decide from what you have read.

• In all my readings I have encountered plenty of theories about getting dogs fixed too young but the only thing I've ever found evidence on has been that large breed dogs, when fixed before fully grown, may not get as large as their intact peers. However getting your dog fixed early can bring along a host of benefits. A fixed dog is a lot less likely to roam than an intact one, it can help with dominance related issues, has a host of health benefits (including prevention of cancer) not to mention marking, menstrual bleeding and unwanted pregnancies are avoided. Shelters often fix puppies as young as 8 weeks, all my dogs have been shelter puppies and they've all been happy and healthy!

• I have owned large breeds all my life. The first 2 I owned, one of them I never neutered, and the secound one I did at about 2 years. Never any problems. After that and competing alot in agility I started neutering very young as the SPCA highly recomends. I now have learned That the ones done as early as 2 to 3 months was the wrong thing to do. I feel compitition large breeds need to have extra time to have a better over all developement as they grow. I feel the females do not have to wait as long as the males, the males take longer to get use to their size as they grow and seem to be more clumsy. From now on I will wait till 2 years of age for my males. I am strickly going on bone strength, joint and soft tissue growth and being stronger. When the SPCA pushes for early neutering and spaying, I feel it is because of the owners not being responcible enough to not have young dogs having puppies. This is their way to help the homeless problem. For dogs that are not going to be used for compititions or showing, they should be fixed, but I would never, myself do it so young. As far as prostate caner being the reason for early neut.& spay. I have had more problems with other cancers. If you keep a large breed intact keep them socialized with other dogs and make sure you do your part in training them, because they will be a bit more acertive if you do not do this.