Why do people refuse to fix their dogs?

Please explain to me why people refuse to fix their pets!I understand that there are a few reputable breeders out there who are breeding to better the breed an offer high quality pets to good families.But, why, when it costs less than $100 at a low cost…

Please explain to me why people refuse to fix their pets!I understand that there are a few reputable breeders out there who are breeding to better the breed an offer high quality pets to good families.But, why, when it costs less than $100 at a low cost…...
    General Dog Discussions : Why do people refuse to fix their dogs?...

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Why do people refuse to fix their dogs?

Why do people refuse to fix their dogs? General Dog Discussions
      Please explain to me why people refuse to fix their pets!I understand that there are a few reputable breeders out there who are breeding to better the breed an offer high quality pets to good families.But, why, when it costs less than $100 at a low cost clininc to have the dogs fixed, why wouldn't they? Do people not understand that it is healthier for the animal? Why, why, why???!!! I really want to know if there was a legitimate reason for it. Also, spaying a female before they reach 18 months old decreases their chance of getting breast cancer by 200%. The risk of prostate cancer and enlargement is likely to occur in 80% of male dogs who are not neutered .Tom, that is why I clarified that there are a few reputable breeders out there. I would not ever want everyone to stop. I am more concerned about the dogs that haven't had the proper genetic tests done and shouldn't be bred.Greekman, I have checked out your link, but I am still not convinced. I guess we can agree to disagree on the health benefits.However, you do make a good point about keeping the dogs from being bred. I think that is my biggest pet peeve. People who won't do to ignorance or laziness, keep their dogs from breeding if they aren't fixed. Hummmmmmmm, maybe my next question?

Why do people refuse to fix their dogs? General Dog Discussions
    • Some people are just that cheap. And many people aren't educated about the health risks of not spaying and neutering. Some people still think that females are "better pets" after they've had a litter. These people are stupid and vets try their best to convince them but they aren't always successful

• Well, just from my own experience, it seems like some (not all) guys are really hesitant to neuter their male dogs, because the idea just seems to upset them. I just sometimes want to yell at them, "Your dog is not going to miss his testicles! He's a puppy, and he won't care that they're gone!"I think other people just kind of put it off, procrastinate, and forget. My vet's office offers it as part of a puppy package along with shots and deworming, and all that stuff. It seems to help.

• because unfortunately people dont want to take their time to do the research and get the facts that you have shared with us. people get dogs for all sorts of reason and unfortunately they dont think about the fact that it takes more than just purchasing the dogs to make it safe and give it a good start in life. thanks for the info i hope it helps wake some people up about what the risks are.

• My parents weren't much for bothering to spay/neuter the dogs. They gelded the horses, and castrated teh calves, but the pets...no. I couldn't tell you why. I do kn ow that *I* am totally different. As soon as I am done showing or breeding them, they get altered. If any flaw shows up and I decide to place a pup I am growing out for show, it is spayed or neutered. Any that don't make the cut for growing out to show get placed on spay/neuter contracts. I find altered pets SO much easier to live with!

• Answer this for me plz. I did get my dog fixed and now he is lazy and depressed. He used to be able to clear a 6 foot fence with ease and now he is 30 lbs overweight and does little more than lay on the ground and give me pouty looks. Don't get me wrong, he will play...for a few minutes but he is always worn out. So playing only last minutes. Is this because of being fixed...he's only 3 years old.

• http://www.caninesports.com/SpayNeuterhttp://www.caninesports.com/SpayNeuter.html.htmlKats, I am not a breeder, I am a working dog handler and trainer. I also do not believe in fixing a dog because I have seen first hand what fixing does to the drive of a working animal. I also do not believe that I should have to subject a dog to a medical procedure just so I can relieve my self of my responsibility of looking after that animal. That's what it comes down to, being responsible. In 27 years I have never had a breeding with all intact animals. In Europe it is against the law to "just" fix an animal for no reason. They do not believe that you should do it just because. As far as medical benefits, read the articles I sent you above. None exists and the latest research says that it may actually be bad for them.