Can I help my puppy not get the side effects of neutering?

We adopted him so they're making us neuter him mandatory. I know that after puppies are neutered they become a bit less playful and they usually gain a lot of weight. Is there any way I can stop this from happening or help him not gain so much weight? We…

We adopted him so they're making us neuter him mandatory. I know that after puppies are neutered they become a bit less playful and they usually gain a lot of weight. Is there any way I can stop this from happening or help him not gain so much weight? We…...
    General Dog Discussions : Can I help my puppy not get the side effects of neutering?...

• Can I help my puppy not get the side effects of neutering?

Can I help my puppy not get the side effects of neutering? General Dog Discussions
      We adopted him so they're making us neuter him mandatory. I know that after puppies are neutered they become a bit less playful and they usually gain a lot of weight. Is there any way I can stop this from happening or help him not gain so much weight? We didn't neuter the last dog we had.Thanks so far!I'm so glad it's not true because people have been spamming my mind with these negative rumors about fixing my pups!

Can I help my puppy not get the side effects of neutering? General Dog Discussions
    • Thats not true. If you stop exercising and feed a bad diet they get over weight. Dogs are still playful they are just more calm. The vet will tell you what you should do while he's healing and then after he's done he'll be the same. My Shih Tzu was recently neutered and he's more playful and he hasn't gained any extra weight. Some dogs may gain a little but not to the point where they are over weight.

• Neutering has a lot of benefits. No hormonal aggression, not as likely to lift his leg to mark, no humping, and no accidental litters! That's the best one in my opinion.I work at a rescue, and all of our puppies are fixed before they're adopted. They're no less playful than before. Those effects you have listed are more for the older dogs than puppies. We've never had it effect a puppy in that way.

• Whoever told you that they get less playful and get fat, they have no idea what they're talking about. I've had all my dogs neutered and/or spayed and that has never happened. If anything they might not be as playful during the healing process, which takes anywhere from 3-7 days. After that they are back to their old playful selves. And they do not gain weight unless you increase the food by double or something.

• How I love a good myth. No, not true. Lack of exercise and overfeeding is what makes a dog overweight. No overfeeding, and make sure the dog gets plenty of exercise. My two males had no problems. Both were 2 years old when we had them neutered, and they are/were no less playful than before.

• Neutering doesn't change the personality, playfulness, or weight of a puppy. People believe that's what happens because they don't exercise their pets enough and over feed them. My first boxer was calm and mellow. He was neutered and got fat, but was still just as playful. The boxer I have now is just a ball of energy and plays nonstop. He acts like a puppy. He's 3yrs old, neutered and is at normal weight for a boxer. My sisters Jack Russell is not neutered and is very fat. It just depends on how you feed and exercise him. And neutering him could save him from possible health problems in the future, such as testicular cancer and highly reduce the chance of prostate cancer.