What are the pros for NOT altering your pet?

I know there are some folks on here who say there are pros to keeping dogs intact. I've always been a big proponent of spaying and neutering so I'm interested to hear the reasoning behind the opposite view and evidence to the contrary. I'm not asking…

I know there are some folks on here who say there are pros to keeping dogs intact. I've always been a big proponent of spaying and neutering so I'm interested to hear the reasoning behind the opposite view and evidence to the contrary. I'm not asking…...
    General Dog Discussions : What are the pros for NOT altering your pet?...

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• What are the pros for NOT altering your pet?

What are the pros for NOT altering your pet? General Dog Discussions
      I know there are some folks on here who say there are pros to keeping dogs intact. I've always been a big proponent of spaying and neutering so I'm interested to hear the reasoning behind the opposite view and evidence to the contrary. I'm not asking this question to start a debate or argument, although I'm sure it will. I'm just interested in keeping an open mind. Thanks!

What are the pros for NOT altering your pet? General Dog Discussions
    • Well, you have the option to show.Spaying and neutering surgeries CAN go wrong, but that is rare.And then there is the fact that in larger breeds, it is best to wait a while before neutering or spaying to let them grow.I respect people who keep their dogs intact- as long as they can handle an intact dog or b*tch.

• I found this I don't know how much of it is true. But these are probably some of the reasons why people don't do it.Disadvantages[edit] GeneralA cat under anesthesiaAs with any surgical procedure, immediate complications of neutering include the usual anesthetic and surgical complications, such as bleeding and infection. These risks are relatively low in routine spaying and neutering; however, they may be increased for some animals due to other pre-existing health factors. In one study the risk of anesthetic-related death (not limited to neutering procedures) was estimated at 0.05% for healthy dogs and 0.11% for healthy cats. The risk for sick dogs and cats were 1.33% and 1.40% respectively.[4] Neutered dogs and cats of both genders have an increased risk of obesity. Theories for this include reduced metabolism, reduced activity, and eating more due to altered feeding behavior.[5] Neutered dogs of both genders are at a twofold excess risk to develop osteosarcoma as compared to intact dogs,[6][7][8] as well as an increased risk of hemangiosarcoma[9][10] and urinary tract cancer.[11] Neutered dogs of both genders have a 27% to 38% increased risk of adverse reactions to vaccinations. The incidence of adverse reactions for neutered and intact dogs combined is 0.32%[12] Neutered dogs have also been known to develop hormone-responsive alopecia (hair loss).[13] [edit] Specific to MalesNeutered male dogs display a fourfold increased incidence of prostate cancer over intact males.[14][15] In a study of 29 intact male dogs and 47 castrated males aged 11–14, the neutered males were significantly more likely to progress from one geriatric cognitive impairment condition (out of the four conditions - disorientation in the house or outdoors, changes in social interactions with human family members, loss of house training, and changes in the sleep-wake cycle) to two or more conditions. Testosterone in intact males is thought to slow the progression of cognitive impairment, at least in dogs that already have mild impairment.[16] As compared to intact males, male neutered cats are at an increased risk for certain problems associated with feline lower urinary tract disease, including the presence of stones or a plug in the urethra and urethral blockage.[17] [edit] Specific to FemalesSpayed female dogs can develop urinary incontinence.[18][19][20] Studies report incidence rates of 4.9% to 20%.[21] Spayed female dogs are at an increased risk of hypothyroidism[22] Despite the risk of pyometra being greatly reduced in spayed females, Stump pyometra may still occur in this group.

• Well, one of the expected retorts will most likely be to breed your dog. That is true, and I'll cover it later, but their IS another benefit. GROWTH. For example, a great dane *runt of the litter*, when chosen for breeding, and therefore kept intact, will have the necessary hormones to let the body grow to the full genetic potential. The largest puppy, when fixed, still may not grow as large as the other because it doesn't have necessary chemicals/hormones.About breeding. If you ARE a responsible breeder, and you know your stuff, their is ABSOLUTELY NOTHING WRONG WITH BREEDING. Some dogs have "better" coats and body types, or come from champion bloodlines, so they can be kept intact for breeding, although I see NO reason for a dog that is not a good dam or sire candidate to be left intact, THAT is where BYB is started, NOT with responsible breeders.Please answer my question, it's no a similar subject.http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index;_ylt=ArFn0xB4Y2tI6.UiSfX2vjcazKIX;_ylv=3?qid=20091116053310AAkgN4K

• The main advantage is that the animal will be more valuable if you decide to sell it to a backyard breeder. There are lots of people in my neighborhood who have dogs they allow to breed and then try to sell the puppies. No shots. No deworming. No prenatal care. These people feed their dogs cheap food, leave them barking outside all day, and sometimes even tie weights to the dogs necks. I think some of the people who buy the puppies they sell are just clueless and looking for a family pet (that they will probably keep for a year or until it has its own first litter) and others who buy these dogs are fighting them illegally.Honestly these are the only reasons I can think of your average pet owner would fail to fix their dogs: too cheap to take the dog to the vet, planning on future backyard breeding, or selling to someone who plans to do some backyard breeding, and men who have fragile egos think fixing their dog somehow reduces their own masculinity. Like those freaks who drive around with the rubber testicles hanging from the back of their truck. I'm being quite serious in this answer, even though it may sound sarcastic on first read. You really only need to spend a little time in a dog shelter before you realize the massive scale of animal cruelty that results from over breeding. You wouldn't believe how many people say they want to breed their dogs in order to teach their kids about the birds and the bees. (Hello? Anyone wonder where bestiality comes from?) I wish these people would follow the entire lifespan of the puppies they produce and let their kids see what happens to the puppies that dig up the backyards, or chew shoes or furniture, or pee all over someone's house or bark too much. That would be far more educational.

• There are only pros if the owner can be a responsible one and keep their dogs from mating and there are plenty out there. Outside of that I am for spaying and neutering most of the general dog population simply because people have shown they can't be responsible. Also any pet quality female pure or mutt should most definitely be spayed.Positive and Negatives of Spaying/Neutering most people are unaware of.On the positive side, neutering male dogs * eliminates the small risk (probably <1%) of dying from testicular cancer * reduces the risk of non-cancerous prostate disorders * reduces the risk of perianal fistulas * may possibly reduce the risk of diabetes (data inconclusive)On the negative side, neutering male dogs * if done before maturity, increases the risk of osteosarcoma (bone cancer) by a factor of 3.8; this is a common cancer in medium/large and larger breeds with a poor prognosis. * increases the risk of cardiac hemangiosarcoma by a factor of 1.6; this is a common cancer and major cause of death in some breeds * triples the risk of hypothyroidism * increases the risk of geriatric cognitive impairment * triples the risk of obesity, a common health problem in dogs with many associated health problems * quadruples the small risk (<0.6%) of prostate cancer * doubles the small risk (<1%) of urinary tract cancers * increases the risk of orthopedic disorders * increases the risk of adverse reactions to vaccinationsOn the positive side, spaying female dogs * if done before 2.5 years of age, greatly reduces the risk of mammary tumors, the most common malignant tumors in female dogs * nearly eliminates the risk of pyometra, which otherwise would affect about 23% of intact female dogs; pyometra kills about 1% of intact female dogs * reduces the risk of perianal fistulas * removes the very small risk (0.5%) from uterine, cervical, and ovarian tumorsOn the negative side, spaying female dogs * if done before maturity, increases the risk of osteosarcoma by a factor of 3.1; this is a common cancer in larger breeds with a poor prognosis * increases the risk of splenic hemangiosarcoma by a factor of 2.2 and cardiac hemangiosarcoma by factor of >5; this is a common cancer and major cause of death in some breeds * triples the risk of hypothyroidism * increases the risk of obesity by a factor of 1.6-2, a common health problem in dogs with many associated health problems * causes urinary "spay incontinence" in 4-20% of female dogs * increases the risk of persistent or recurring urinary tract infections by a factor of 3-4 * increases the risk of recessed vulva, vaginal dermatitis, and vaginitis, especially for female dogs spayed before puberty * doubles the small risk (<1%) of urinary tract tumors * increases the risk of orthopedic disorders * increases the risk of adverse reactions to vaccinationsEither way pet owners should make the best informed choice they can make with ALL information available.

• I used to be pro for keeping dogs intact as well. I was very responsible in making sure my dogs would not get out at any time. However, I have since changed my opinion on this issue. One reason is the fact that 2 of my females developed mammary gland tumors. Surgery has cost me a pretty penny...the other is Craig's List and Animal Shelters adoptable pets on line! I read Craig's list almost every day (we recently adopted a 7 year old Shih-Tzu from Craig's list). I look at all the dogs that are being offered to new homes, all the dogs that are for adoption in the Shelters, all the dogs that are being bred (accidentally or on purpose) and it breaks my heart! These are not just puppies, but dogs that have been with families from puppy hood until they are in their senior years. You look at the pictures and you know these poor dogs have no clue that they are about to have their life's uprooted. Many ads read 'must go by such and such day or will go to pound'. If health issues aren't a concern for keeping dogs intact (other than reputable breeders/show dogs), then maybe the volume of dogs being put to sleep in the shelters, running lose as strays and being given away because they have outlived their use, maybe that should be a good reason to have dogs altered.

• i got my puppy who is a border collie fixed because he started to show certain issues he humped everything in sight. whihc was not good at all. i also believed that it would stop any aggression issues in shep when he got older and also i did the right thing in stopping so many unwanted puppies living on the streets. Hes also calmed down a lot hes still very friendly and fun and loving. also it has stop him getting cancer when hes older. good question by the way

• I am capable of ensuring that my male Dobermanns behavior is under my control & that he doesn't sire unwanted litter. My male Dobermanns are not castrated until they are at least eighteen months old, because of their hormonal/skeletal development & the health benefits in general are not compelling.My current male Dobermann is almost 3, entire & has never sired a litter.