Why does it seem like my puppy is chewing on something?

It seems like my puppy keeps chewing on something in the side of his mouth, but when I open his mouth to check, I don't see anything. It's hard to look, though, because he pulls his mouth away. He is a 5 and a half month old Yorkshire Terrier. What's…

It seems like my puppy keeps chewing on something in the side of his mouth, but when I open his mouth to check, I don't see anything. It's hard to look, though, because he pulls his mouth away. He is a 5 and a half month old Yorkshire Terrier. What's…...
    General Dog Discussions : Why does it seem like my puppy is chewing on something?...

• Why does it seem like my puppy is chewing on something?

Why does it seem like my puppy is chewing on something? General Dog Discussions
      It seems like my puppy keeps chewing on something in the side of his mouth, but when I open his mouth to check, I don't see anything. It's hard to look, though, because he pulls his mouth away. He is a 5 and a half month old Yorkshire Terrier. What's wrong with him?

Why does it seem like my puppy is chewing on something? General Dog Discussions
    • It is difficult to tell without more information. It is common for puppies to teethe at that age. If your puppy is chewing on things constantly, then it is more likely that. He could be chewing the inside of his lip or smacking his lips from tasting something strange. I would watch his behavior over the next few days and see when he does it, and how often he does it. If the problem continues with no cause, I would contact your vet and ask for help. Secondarily, for your long term relationship with your dog, I suggest getting him used to being handled. An easy way to do this is to hold a treat in your hand with your fingers curled around it. Let him smell the treat through your hand but do not let him have it until you are able to touch his muzzle without him flinching away. Do this three times, wait an hour or two, and then do it again. In time, you should touch his muzzle without him being preoccupied by the treat. Always make sure to reward him for being good. A treat is good, excited love and affection is better.