Is it true that chocolate will kill a dog? And what do you do if he gets into some?

Don't worry, my dog hates chocolate!

Is it true that chocolate will kill a dog? And what do you do if he gets into some?

Don't worry, my dog hates chocolate!...
    General Dog Discussions : Is it true that chocolate will kill a dog? And what do you do if he gets into some?...

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Is it true that chocolate will kill a dog? And what do you do if he gets into some?

Is it true that chocolate will kill a dog? And what do you do if he gets into some? General Dog Discussions
      Don't worry, my dog hates chocolate!

Is it true that chocolate will kill a dog? And what do you do if he gets into some? General Dog Discussions
    • Too much chocolate can kill a dog, or make it very sick. It contains a substance related to caffeine. How much is too much depends on the size and overall health of the dog. It really takes quite a lot to be toxic. If your dog gets into the chocolate, it's best to take him to the vet, and not take chances.http://www.talktothevet.com/ARTICLES/DOGS/chocolatetoxic.HTM

• The truth is chocolate contains theobromine that is toxic to dogs in sufficient quantities. This is a xanthine compound in the same family of caffeine, and theophylline.Toxic LevelsThe good news is that it takes, on average, a fairly large amount of theobromine 100-150 mg/kg to cause a toxic reaction. Although there are variables to consider like the individual sensitivity, animal size and chocolate concentration.On average,Milk chocolate contains 44 mg of theobromine per oz.Semisweet chocolate contains 150mg/oz.Baker's chocolate 390mg/oz.Using a dose of 100 mg/kg as the toxic dose it comes out roughly as:1 ounce per 1 pound of body weight for Milk chocolate1 ounce per 3 pounds of body weight for Semisweet chocolate1 ounce per 9 pounds of body weight for Baker's chocolate.So, for example, 2 oz. of Baker's chocolate can cause great risk to an 15 lb. dog. Yet, 2 oz. of Milk chocolate usually will only cause digestive problems. Clinical SignsXanthines affect the nervous system, cardiovascular system and peripheral nerves. It has a diuretic effect as well. Clinical signs: Hyper excitability Hyper irritability Increased heart rate Restlessness Increased urination Muscle tremors Vomiting DiarrheaTreatmentThere is no specific antidote for this poisoning. And the half life of the toxin is 17.5 hours in dogs. Induce vomiting in the first 1-2 hours if the quantity is unknown. Administering activated charcoal may inhibit absorption of the toxin. An anticonvulsant might be indicated if neurological signs are present and needs to be controlled. Oxygen therapy, intravenous medications, and fluids might be needed to protect the heart.Milk chocolate will often cause diarrhea 12-24 hours after ingestion. This should be treated symptomatically (fluids, etc..) to prevent dehydration.If you suspect your pet has ingested chocolate contact your Vet immediately! They can help you determine the the proper treatment for your pet.

• Yes and no.A dog's heart beats faster than humans, and chocolate has caffeine. If you give a large amount of chocolate to a dog, the caffeine will increase your dog's already fast heart rate and eventually kill it.A small amount of chocolate - like one chocolate chip - would be fine here and there.If your dog accidentally consumes a lot of chocolate, take it to the vet's immediately and they will administer a type of substance into your dog's system which will make it regurgitate the chocolate.

• Yes, it can. It depends on the age and size of the dog and the amount of chocolate it ate. Fist Aid....Step 1...Call Vet emergency number. Let them know you are on the way in.Step 2 ....mix 1 teaspoon water with 1 teaspoon of hydrogen peroxide (the kind you put on cuts). Give the dog 1 teaspoonful of the mix. This should induce vomiting.If it doesn't within 1 hour, give the other teaspoonful of the mix.

• That happened to my puppy before she is 5-6 months she a pit-bull the Vet told me to give her a tablespoon peroxide to make him/her throw the chocolate up. I know I freak when she told me to give my dog peroxide if you don't believe me call your local Vet.

• Yes it is true that chocolate is fatal to dogs. Some more than others. A Golden Retriever has less of a chance of dying if he/she eats chocolate than a beagle or Chihuahua has, even if they have the same amount. If a dog gets into chocolate, i would have him/her drink lots of water. If a lot of chocolate was consumed, u should call a vet ASAP.

• Dark chocolate is the worst.. Depending on how big the dog is, even small amounts can be bad for them. The theobromine in chocolate is poison to them, and the sugar causes tooth decay and diabetes. If he gets a small amount of normal chocolate, keep an eye on him, if he gets large amounts, or gets dark or bakers chocolate, you have to take him to the vet.