is Chocolate poisinous to dogs?

what will happen if i feed my dog chocolate?i heard it is poisonous to them. is this true?not that i want to but just to make sure

what will happen if i feed my dog chocolate?i heard it is poisonous to them. is this true?not that i want to but just to make sure...
    General Dog Discussions : is Chocolate poisinous to dogs?...

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• is Chocolate poisinous to dogs?

is Chocolate poisinous to dogs? General Dog Discussions
      what will happen if i feed my dog chocolate?i heard it is poisonous to them. is this true?not that i want to but just to make sure

is Chocolate poisinous to dogs? General Dog Discussions
    • a little isn't bad for them but if they eat alot of it...yeah it will kill them its called Theobromine poisoning or chocolate poisoning you can read about it here:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Theobromine_poisoning

• bakers chocolate will cause a dog to go into cardiac arrest. milk chocolate has the same potential its just dilutted chocolate. so go to the pet store get some chocolate made for dogs or dont feed it to them.

• Toxicity in animalsMain article: theobromine poisoningIn sufficient amounts, the theobromine found in chocolate is toxic to animals such as horses, dogs, parrots, and cats (kittens especially) because they are unable to metabolise the chemical effectively. If they are fed chocolate, the theobromine will remain in their bloodstream for up to 20 hours, and these animals may experience epileptic seizures, heart attacks, internal bleeding, and eventually death. Medical treatment involves inducing vomiting within two hours of ingestion, or contacting a veterinarian.A typical 20-kilogram dog will normally experience great intestinal distress after eating fewer than 240 grams of milk chocolate, but will not necessarily experience bradycardia or tachycardia unless it eats at least a half a kilogram of milk chocolate. Dark chocolate has 2 to 5 times more theobromine and thus is more dangerous to dogs. According to the Merck Veterinary Manual, approximately 1.3 grams of baker's chocolate per kilogram of a dog's body weight (0.02 oz/lb) is sufficient to cause symptoms of toxicity. For example, a typical 25-gram baker's chocolate bar would be enough to bring about symptoms in a 20-kilogram dog. Of course, baking chocolate is rarely consumed directly due to its unpleasant taste, but other dark chocolates' canine toxicities may be extrapolated based on this figure. Large dogs such as St. Bernards or Rottweilers are somewhat less susceptible to poisoning, but as dogs like the taste of chocolate products as much as humans do, they should still be kept out of their reach; treats made from carob are a good substitute and pose no threat. There are reports that mulch made from cacao bean shells is dangerous to pets (and other animals)

• I heard that it is. If you give them too much, they can "die". A little bit will get them sick. I don't recommend you try, they're too cute to kill. Besides, I prefer them alive. =D

• I fed my dogs chocolate as a kid, not a bunch, but just a bite here an d there and they all lived to be old, old, old...Either all five of my dogs were magical and genetic exceptions to each of their different breeds, or it's an old wives tale...

• chocolate can be poisonous to dogs when eaten in large quantity. Smaller quantities will make the animal sick and they will have fever, vomitting, and diarreah. Large quantites produce a poisoning similar to salmonella in humans.

• It can be very dangerouse for your dog .It can get him very ill.There can be times were you do give it to your dog and nothing will happen and than there can be one simgle time and boom really sick dog.Its unpredictable I would never give my dog that