How bad is it to feed your dog chocolate?

I have a friend & she feeds her little yorkie M&M"sI told her i heard that it can kill a dog & cat,But she doesn't believe me,Now my mom say's it can give a dog kidney failure.Can you please let me know before this poor dog end's up at the vet's or…

I have a friend & she feeds her little yorkie M&M"sI told her i heard that it can kill a dog & cat,But she doesn't believe me,Now my mom say's it can give a dog kidney failure.Can you please let me know before this poor dog end's up at the vet's or…...
    General Dog Discussions : How bad is it to feed your dog chocolate?...

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• How bad is it to feed your dog chocolate?

How bad is it to feed your dog chocolate? General Dog Discussions
      I have a friend & she feeds her little yorkie M&M"sI told her i heard that it can kill a dog & cat,But she doesn't believe me,Now my mom say's it can give a dog kidney failure.Can you please let me know before this poor dog end's up at the vet's or worse. Thank you very much for your time.Cindy

How bad is it to feed your dog chocolate? General Dog Discussions
    • There is nothing worse to give a dog then chocolate your mom was right about the kidney failure. Its because of the coco meat in the chocolate that is very harmful to dogs. The only thing worse then milk chocolate i dark chocolate cause that all coco meat! Show all of the posts on this question to your friend because i can guarantee they will all say her dog is gonna kick the freaking bucket! But believe it or not its actually safe to give pups white chocolate! its not good for them thats for sure because of the sugar and all. But really its safe! ahem.... still dont tell your friend that lol

• it will kill the dog. i know the dog likes chocolate but it is very bad for it. if it ends up at the vet it will be very costly and it may still die. tell you friend she is making a mistake and call the vet for her and ask questions put the phone on speaker so she can hear. maybe that will convince her.

• It wouldn't take much for a little yorkie to get too much chocolate. But a few M&Ms will probably not harm it. I would just recommend that it is not given. At best, it might give her diarrhea, at worst, it can cause severe cardiac or neurologic side effects. Just remind your friend that while it might not kill the dog, it isn't good for it either. Hey, a little bit of arsenic might not kill you, but it isn't exactly good for you either!

• all chocolate is not good for cats or dogs. The worst however is bakers chocolate followed by dark chocolate. On ocassion my very large german shepherd have stolen a piece of candy and they were ok but look at the difference in sizes of the dogs. Also if it had been the bakers or dark chocolate that might not be the case. If she still doesnt believe this she should ask her vet. If she does none of these I fear she will unfortunately learn the hard way. cathy p

• Chocolate contains theobromine. A naturally occurring stimulant found in the cocoa bean, theobromine increases urination and affects the central nervous system as well as heart muscle. While amounts vary by type of chocolate, it's the theobromine that is poisonous to dogs.The dog will probably be fine this time, but if he keeps getting chocolate, he will most likely die early.