why is it bad to feed a dog chocolate?

what happens to them if they eat chocolate? do they die, get sick or just dont eat it?

what happens to them if they eat chocolate? do they die, get sick or just dont eat it?...
    General Dog Discussions : why is it bad to feed a dog chocolate?...

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• why is it bad to feed a dog chocolate?

why is it bad to feed a dog chocolate? General Dog Discussions
      what happens to them if they eat chocolate? do they die, get sick or just dont eat it?

why is it bad to feed a dog chocolate? General Dog Discussions
    • Chocolate: Dogs love the flavour of chocolate. But as the Oreos ad indicates, ‘Mums says chocolate isn’t good for dogs’! In sufficient doses, chocolate can actually be lethally toxic to dogs. It contains a chemical stimulant called theobromine, which dogs are unable to metabolize effectively. So, if dogs eat chocolate, the theobromine can remain in their bloodstreams for up to 20 hours. During this time, dogs may experience fast heart rate, hallucinations, severe diarrhoea, epileptic seizures, heart attacks, internal bleeding and eventually death. Even just a candy bar can be enough to make a small dog extremely ill or even kill it. Large breeds are less susceptible to chocolate poisoning but still are far less tolerant of the substance than humans are.

• It depends on the chocolate. Only real bakers dark chocolate, or real swiss chocolate, is super bad for them. It is actually very poisonus, and can kill them.As for other forms of chocolate and stuff, there is an ingredient in cocoa beans that does not agree with a dog. It can give them very bad diarhea and stomach pains, and intestinal problems, and has the potential to be just as deadly (this includes anything with cocoa beans, including hot chocolate and coffee)

• It's a compound their body cannot break down, so over time if they eat chocolate it builds up and causes seizures and eventually death. I had a dog who got into the boxes of candy my brother was selling as a kid. He ate all of the chocolate candies and then he developed a seizure disorder and had to be on seizure meds for the rest of his life.

• Yes a dog can die if you feed him to much chocolate.Becuase some of the ingredient in chocolate it harmfull to dogs. My dog loves chocolate but i only give him one peace if i am eating chocolate.

• Chocolate contains a chemical called theobromine which is closely related to caffeine and causes your dog's heart to race. In small dosages, it will cause hyperactivity and possibly diarrhea. If your dog has ingested too much chocolate...vomiting, excessive thirst, diarrhea, restlessness, and agitation typically develop in six to eight hours. Kidney damage, seizures, heart rhythm irregularities, and death may result in severe cases. There is no real antidote for a theobromine overdose. Supportive care can be given, and vomiting can be induced if the case is caught early enough.Chocolately things like ordinary brownies, cake, cookies, and so on really do not contain all that much chocolate but should still be kept away from your dog and out of reach. Gourmet chocolate goodies, however, often contain more chocolate. Baking chocolate and chocolate used in candy-making are very concentrated and much more dangerous (as would be a box of chocolates or a candy bar, but keep in mind that the more expensive chocolates tend to contain more theobromine). Do yourself and your dog(s) a favor and keep your chocolate treats in a completely dog-proof place.

• Lol i know somebody who's dog stole 3 easter eggs, he was violently sick and had to go to the vets and have his stomach pumped. Do not purposely feed chocolate to nay dog and try to put it where a dog couldnt steal it, very bad for doggys tummys.

• The dog will eat it but it can cause them a heart attack and makes them very ill so instead give them dog chews and they're natural treats -- my dog loves chopped pork and i recommend it

• It is said that it's bad to give dogs chocs that humans eat because the chocs contains milk and it builds up the fat and may give them heart problems. I have a dog and when he sees me eating them...he wants some too. I give him one or two but not a lot. I get some dog chocs from the pet shops that dont have any milk in them,then I let him watch me eating them and then he wants to eat some.

• The chocolate contain a chemical called theobromine. Some dogs can eat them but only little bit only. Just like my dog, Milky, it loves chocolates. It can cause the dog super active sometimes. If u don't mind, I experienced it by seeing it digging a chocolate bar in my dad's bag. And remember don't let it eat any chocolate. If your dog eat to much it may die of heart disease.

• It depends. ~ How much chocolate did the dog eat?~ What kind of chocolate?~ How big is the dog?Chocolate is pretty much poison to dogs, and sometimes it just makes them sick for a while, but it can also be fatal. Chocolate contains Theobromine, which is poisonous to dogs. Here is a link that explains it better:http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/32454/why_is_chocolate_bad_for_dogs.html