Is chocolate really toxic to dogs?

I've always been told that chocolate will kill dogs, but my dog hasn't gotten sick from it. The first Christmas we had him, he ate my whole chocolate orange and never got sick. 4 years later, he still gets the occasional piece of chocolate and other…

I've always been told that chocolate will kill dogs, but my dog hasn't gotten sick from it. The first Christmas we had him, he ate my whole chocolate orange and never got sick. 4 years later, he still gets the occasional piece of chocolate and other…...
    General Dog Discussions : Is chocolate really toxic to dogs?...

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Is chocolate really toxic to dogs?

Is chocolate really toxic to dogs? General Dog Discussions
      I've always been told that chocolate will kill dogs, but my dog hasn't gotten sick from it. The first Christmas we had him, he ate my whole chocolate orange and never got sick. 4 years later, he still gets the occasional piece of chocolate and other things I ended up finding out are supposed to be toxic to dogs such as grapes. He loves grapes. So is my dog just a fluke or are all of those things our mothers told us about not feeding the dog chocolates wrong? I take him to the vet consistently for his annual checkup and shots. The vet has never raised concerns for his health.

Is chocolate really toxic to dogs? General Dog Discussions
    • Chocolate is toxic to dogs, but how much it will harm them depends on the size of the dog, the quantity of chocolate, and the percentage of cocoa - white and milk chocolate are less harmful than dark chocolate, and larger amounts would need to be consumed to cause serious harm, although I wouldn't recommend feeding them to a dog anyway.

• A small occasional piece won't kill your dog, but it is still very harmful to them. It's like when kids lick a moth ball probably not going to kill them but if they ate 3 of them they would definitely be in the hospital. I recommend you stop taking risks and allowing your dog to eat known toxic foods, if he accidentally gets a little that's out of your control but I would never purposefully do it. Check out this article on webmd for other foods dogs aren't supposed to have http://pets.webmd.com/dogs/ss/slideshow-foods-your-dog-should-never-eat

• Chocolate is toxic to most dogs. My lab is 14 years old but has been eating chocolate her whole life. Once she accidentally ate an ENTIRE chocolate cake. She is so healthy. She has never been to the vet besides for her shots. I also think that a straight chocolate bar is more dangerous than chocolate cake because it is more chocolaty. This is just my opinion. But not all dogs react badly from chocolate, it probably isn't good for them, but some dogs can handle it.

• It might catch up with him. You should NEVER feed a dog the things that are bad for them, mainly fruit and chocolate, but taking them to vets for checkups are good. Using grapes for treats or just handouts arent good. If your dogs is of a larger breed, such as a golden retriever, it could be why it doesnt affect him as easily.