Why do people say chocolate is harmful to dogs?

I have a toy poodle. He LOVES chocolate. He has opened presents with chocolate in them, he can even open hershey kisses without eating the wrapper. I even give him chocolate ice cream but nothing ever happens. Is it just the type of dog or does…

I have a toy poodle. He LOVES chocolate. He has opened presents with chocolate in them, he can even open hershey kisses without eating the wrapper. I even give him chocolate ice cream but nothing ever happens. Is it just the type of dog or does…...
    General Dog Discussions : Why do people say chocolate is harmful to dogs?...

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Why do people say chocolate is harmful to dogs?

Why do people say chocolate is harmful to dogs? General Dog Discussions
      I have a toy poodle. He LOVES chocolate. He has opened presents with chocolate in them, he can even open hershey kisses without eating the wrapper. I even give him chocolate ice cream but nothing ever happens. Is it just the type of dog or does chocolate actually do nothing to dogs?

Why do people say chocolate is harmful to dogs? General Dog Discussions
    • the darker the chocolate the worse it is, its not the chocolate thats bad for the dogs its a chemical in it called theobromine. darker chocolate like baking chocolate has more of the chemical in it.

• We've all heard it, "Don't give your dog chocolate it will kill him". We'll how true is it you're probably wondering. Do I have to rush him to an emergency vet if he ate one of my M&M's?The truth is chocolate contains theobromine that is toxic to dogs in sufficient quantities. This is a xanthine compound in the same family of caffeine, and theophylline.Toxic LevelsThe good news is that it takes, on average, a fairly large amount of theobromine 100-150 mg/kg to cause a toxic reaction. Although there are variables to consider like the individual sensitivity, animal size and chocolate concentration.On average,Milk chocolate contains 44 mg of theobromine per oz.Semisweet chocolate contains 150mg/oz.Baker's chocolate 390mg/oz.Using a dose of 100 mg/kg as the toxic dose it comes out roughly as:1 ounce per 1 pound of body weight for Milk chocolate1 ounce per 3 pounds of body weight for Semisweet chocolate1 ounce per 9 pounds of body weight for Baker's chocolate.So, for example, 2 oz. of Baker's chocolate can cause great risk to an 15 lb. dog. Yet, 2 oz. of Milk chocolate usually will only cause digestive problems. Clinical SignsXanthines affect the nervous system, cardiovascular system and peripheral nerves. It has a diuretic effect as well. Clinical signs: Hyper excitability Hyper irritability Increased heart rate Restlessness Increased urination Muscle tremors Vomiting DiarrheaTreatmentThere is no specific antidote for this poisoning. And the half life of the toxin is 17.5 hours in dogs. Induce vomiting in the first 1-2 hours if the quantity is unknown. Administering activated charcoal may inhibit absorption of the toxin. An anticonvulsant might be indicated if neurological signs are present and needs to be controlled. Oxygen therapy, intravenous medications, and fluids might be needed to protect the heart.Milk chocolate will often cause diarrhea 12-24 hours after ingestion. This should be treated symptomatically (fluids, etc..) to prevent dehydration.If you suspect your pet has ingested chocolate contact your Vet immediately! They can help you determine the the proper treatment for your pet.IN SHORT: Don't feed your dog chocolate if you love him!

• it IS toxic and could kill dogs. Theres a chemical in chocolate that dogs cant digest and break down. I remember a story of when a little boy fed his dog 3 oreos and was ill in a matter of hours. he died in the vets office =/

• It is actually a myth that chocolate is bad for dogs. Of course they would get sick and have to go to the hospital if they eat pounds of chocolate, but so would humans. So as long as you don't give your dog pounds and pounds of chocolate, he should be fine. Some dogs have a sensitive stomach, though, so just make sure he's acting normal.

• chocolate contains theobromine that is toxic to dogs in sufficient quantities. This is a xanthine compound in the same family of caffeine, and theophylline.

• Chocolate is like poison to a dog. They may like it but it can kill them. I have no idea how your dog is fine. You should have him checked out by your vet and you have to STOP feeding him chocolate. If you care about your dog you would take him to the vet and replace chocolates with dog treats.

• It affects different dogs differently. It does something to their liver that could result in death. Then again my friend's dog, a big golden retriever, ate one of those 1/2 lb chocolate bars and is still alive. but.... i wouldn't chance giving it to my dogs. Good Luck!

• It may not look like it is harming him but dogs have and allergy to something in chocolate. Ask your vet what it is exactly but I know it's not just a myth.

• You should stop feeding your dog chocolate if you give him to much he can die because it is like poison to them there is something in it that is like toxins in there body so unless you want your dog to die STOP

• Chocolate is bad for Dogs! They cannot metabolize it and accumulation can cause death. You should stop feeding your dog chocolate immediatly. Dogs cannot metabolize cocoa or caffine. Even though your dog seems fine, it could have an adverse reaction later. Please be careful.

• Many dogs [ many, many ] have serious toxic reactions to chocolate, including death.Some of them just get so sick they puke all night.A very few don't react, so you were very, very lucky.P.S. - dogs shouldn't eat sweets unless you also brush their teeth - they get tooth decay, and it is expensive.

• Chocolate takes 8 hours to digest in the human body. For dogs it takes 12 hours. This requires a lot of work from the kidney. It is also very fattenning. If a dog has chocolate and has kindney problems there is a pretty good chance the dog might die. You can feed your dog chocolate, but just a little amount each day. Make sure the dog gets plenty of exercise to burn off the fat he gained from the chocolate he ate.

• Why chocolate poisons dogs and how to treat chocolate dog poisoningWhile the pathetic begging look that goes across the face of a dog wanting chocolate can weaken the most stoic dog owner, stay firm. Do not give in. Ever.Once dogs have tasted chocolate, they want more.And for dogs, that's a bad thing.You might disagree, thinking back to a time when you noticed a dog enjoying a tidbit of chocolate with no deleterious effect. Don't be fooled.The problem, according to veterinary experts, is that eating a speck of chocolate leads a dog to crave more. It can mean that your dog will jump at a opportunity to get any type of chocolate, not knowing that certain chocolates are more lethal than other types. Larger amounts of chocolate, particularly of the most toxic type, can bring about epileptic seizures in some dogs, and in all dogs, can kill.Poisoning of dogs by chocolate is not as uncommon as you might think."Chocolate ingestions are one common reason why pet owners and veterinarians call us," said Dana Farbman, Certified Veterinary Technician and Manager, Client and Professional Relations, ASPCA Animal Poison Control Center. "However, it would be difficult to verify an exact ranking in frequency of calls, as the types of substances we receive calls on can vary greatly depending on many factors, including the time of year. We generally do experience somewhat of a rise in chocolate calls around holidays, such as Halloween, Easter, Christmas, Valentine's Day and Mother's Day. Why is Chocolate Lethal?Chocolate contains theobromine. A naturally occurring stimulant found in the cocoa bean, theobromine increases urination and affects the central nervous system as well as heart muscle. While amounts vary by type of chocolate, it's the theobromine that is poisonous to dogs. Symptoms of Chocolate Dog Ingestion and PoisoningYou can recognize that your dog has eaten a toxic dose of chocolate from the symptoms. Within the first few hours, the evidence includes vomiting, diarrhea or hyperactivity. As time passes and there's increased absorption of the toxic substance, you'll see an increase in the dog's heart rate, which can cause arrhythmia, restlessness, hyperactivity, muscle twitching, increased urination or excessive panting.This can lead to hyperthermia, muscle tremors, seizures, coma and even death.Why take that chance...

• Because chocolate in large quantities is bad for your dog. Dogs can crave chocolate too, just like we do. But it is bad for them. My vet informed me that it can cause heart problems and urinary issues.I would suggest you dont give your dog chocolate.