How can I help his young dog get along with my older cats?

His dog 4yr old chocolate lab, my two cats ages 13 & 15. How can we help them get along?

His dog 4yr old chocolate lab, my two cats ages 13 & 15. How can we help them get along?...
    General Dog Discussions : How can I help his young dog get along with my older cats?...

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• How can I help his young dog get along with my older cats?

How can I help his young dog get along with my older cats? General Dog Discussions
      His dog 4yr old chocolate lab, my two cats ages 13 & 15. How can we help them get along?

How can I help his young dog get along with my older cats? General Dog Discussions
    • There's really no way that you can make them get along... Eventually they'll get used to eachother and tolerate eachother, but there's not much you can do except make sure they don't hurt eachother.

• I'm not sure how much luck you'll have with the cats, in time they'll tolerate being around the dog but oftentimes cats just won't want anything to do with dogs, especially if they haven't been acquainted with them before.With the dog, the best thing to do is to seclude him from the cats, so maybe keep him in the kitchen and family room but give the cats the bedroom to have to themselves so they have time away from the dog. Teach him the leave it command if he's barking and trying to chase the cats, but if he seems okay with the cats then just giving them their own separate spaces where they can go to be dog-free is really the best you can do for them. In time they'll learn to tolerate each other.

• You can help them to get along by bringing them to an unfamiliar place and then giving them their own way to get along with each other and start interacting.I recommend that you also watch my 2 minute dog trainer video at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_AnM7AokdSI that will give you important tips in handling dogs and getting making them get used to situations for your home. hope my advice helps!