How long does it take to adapt?

I have two dogs, a chocolate and black lad, and we recently have moved into my mother in laws home for a few months while our house is finished building, but our black lab seems not herself, she seems sad and distant, the chocolate lab is wonderful she…

I have two dogs, a chocolate and black lad, and we recently have moved into my mother in laws home for a few months while our house is finished building, but our black lab seems not herself, she seems sad and distant, the chocolate lab is wonderful she…...
    General Dog Discussions : How long does it take to adapt?...

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• How long does it take to adapt?

How long does it take to adapt? General Dog Discussions
      I have two dogs, a chocolate and black lad, and we recently have moved into my mother in laws home for a few months while our house is finished building, but our black lab seems not herself, she seems sad and distant, the chocolate lab is wonderful she has no problem is there anything I can do for the black lab? We brought her pillows from the other house so its like she did not loose anything, but I need help. It only has been a couple of days, so do you think time with heal her wounds or should I seek other help?

How long does it take to adapt? General Dog Discussions
    • I would first rule out any medical causes of her drastic change in behavior. All sorts of medical issues can cause lethargy and depression. If those things are ruled out then give her a little more time to adjust. She has been uprooted from everything she's ever known. Dogs thrive on routine and this current move disrupts that and gives her a sense of instability in the process. Hope this helps ..

• You've removed her from a comfort zone and tossed her into a different situation; kinda like a little kid who doesn't understand what's going on.Keep her routine as normal as possible (walks, feeding, play, etc). When we moved 1000 miles from the Midwest to Florida, our poodle was miserable for a few weeks. She just didn't understand what was happening. When she finally realized all our stuff was there, we were there, and the rest of her routine hadn't changed, she was back to her normal self. The second move (across town) hardly phased her.You'll probably go through the same thing again when you move into the finished home; but hopefully she'll get the feeling this is her 'new' house very quickly and the move won't be bad.