Is chocolate really bad for dogs?

i don't ever give my dogs chocolate it is like the only thing i am strict about not giving them... but why is it bad for them?

i don't ever give my dogs chocolate it is like the only thing i am strict about not giving them... but why is it bad for them? ...
    General Dog Discussions : Is chocolate really bad for dogs?...

• Is chocolate really bad for dogs?

Is chocolate really bad for dogs? General Dog Discussions
      i don't ever give my dogs chocolate it is like the only thing i am strict about not giving them... but why is it bad for them?

Is chocolate really bad for dogs? General Dog Discussions
    • Chocolate contains a chemical called theobromine which humans can digest but in dogs it acts as a poison. The more cacao the chocolate contains the more theobromine it has. So dark chocolate and bakers chocolate are very bad for dogs but milk chocolate is not as bad.

• Because it's made of cocoa beans and usually beans nuts are poisonous to most animals unless they are built to eat that specific product like squirrels and acorns. Also (just to let you know) onions, grapes, and raising are really bad so don't give those to your dog either~!

• To a dog, chocolate is the equivalent of poison. I'm not exactly sure why, but I'm guessing it has to do with there being something in their system that simply doesn't work with it.

• We've all heard it, "Don't give your dog chocolate it will kill him". We'll how true is it you're probably wondering. Do I have to rush him to an emergency vet if he ate one of my M&M's?The truth is chocolate contains theobromine that is toxic to dogs in sufficient quantities. This is a xanthine compound in the same family of caffeine, and theophylline.Toxic LevelsThe good news is that it takes, on average, a fairly large amount of theobromine 100-150 mg/kg to cause a toxic reaction. Although there are variables to consider like the individual sensitivity, animal size and chocolate concentration.On average,Milk chocolate contains 44 mg of theobromine per oz.Semisweet chocolate contains 150mg/oz.Baker's chocolate 390mg/oz.Using a dose of 100 mg/kg as the toxic dose it comes out roughly as:1 ounce per 1 pound of body weight for Milk chocolate1 ounce per 3 pounds of body weight for Semisweet chocolate1 ounce per 9 pounds of body weight for Baker's chocolate.So, for example, 2 oz. of Baker's chocolate can cause great risk to an 15 lb. dog. Yet, 2 oz. of Milk chocolate usually will only cause digestive problems.

• Unfortunately for dogs chocolate tastes really, really good, but chocolate is not really poisonous, not like cyanide. That doesn't change the fact that it can kill your dog. It is theobromine that is harmful to dogs, if you can find chocolate without it you'll have the happiest dog in town. Theobromine is a stimulant found in the coca plant. People often get theobromine confused with caffeine, while they have similar effects, eating a piece of chocolate will not give a human the rush a cup of coffee does. Chocolate will still give a sugar rush, but don't eat it if you're up late studying for an exam.Dogs and horses are greatly affected by theobromine. Chocolate is a banned substance in horse racing because of the boost it will give to the horse. Of course a horse can still eat too much of it, like a dog, but they're significantly bigger animals and it would take much more chocolate.Your dogs system will try to purge itself of the theobromine if it gets enough of it. One tiny piece won't cause any significant damage, unless your dog eats a shoe while 'high' on chocolate. You'll notice if they've had too much. Aside from the dog crying it will be vomiting and have diarrhea. If you notice these symptoms you should have your animal checked out immediately. Your dog will probably not die from these symptoms, they are just warning signs. The concern comes from the dog's heart, especially if it is an older dog. The dogs heart my beat too fast and just give out, that's the real danger. An increased heart rate will probably come after the vomiting and diarrhea, when more theobromine has had a chance to be absorbed into the blood steam. Other signs to watch for are increased urination (another method the body will use to purge itself of something), muscle twitching, and excessive panting. Chocolate could kill your dog, cause seizures or put it in a coma, so be careful.

• Well actually no my aunt is a vet and she says its not bad for them you just should not give it to them because its bad for us too we dont eat it all day do we? Well it just makes dogs really hipper and wierd for a few hours its like us getting a surgar rush! Trust me my aunt is a vet and she has been one for 15 years!