Does my dog have an allergic reaction to the kennel cough vaccine?

My dog was excited at the vets--lots of adrenaline pumping. He got a kennel cough vaccine in his rear leg. When we got home we went for a walk and then I left him tied in the yard for ten minutes. When I came back to get him, he was curled into a ball…

My dog was excited at the vets--lots of adrenaline pumping. He got a kennel cough vaccine in his rear leg. When we got home we went for a walk and then I left him tied in the yard for ten minutes. When I came back to get him, he was curled into a ball…...
    General Dog Discussions : Does my dog have an allergic reaction to the kennel cough vaccine?...

• Does my dog have an allergic reaction to the kennel cough vaccine?

Does my dog have an allergic reaction to the kennel cough vaccine? General Dog Discussions
      My dog was excited at the vets--lots of adrenaline pumping. He got a kennel cough vaccine in his rear leg. When we got home we went for a walk and then I left him tied in the yard for ten minutes. When I came back to get him, he was curled into a ball shaking and he would not step on his leg. He is obviously not himself--he won't even chase the cat.

Does my dog have an allergic reaction to the kennel cough vaccine? General Dog Discussions
    • Kennel cough vaccines are a liquid that is squirted into the nose..never heard of it being given in leg! Are you sure this was not a rabies vaccine which are sometimes given in the muscle in the thigh area? Call the vet and make sure exactly WHAT your dog was given and tell him/her the symptons as this may be a reaction to the vaccine.

• Probably not an allergic reaction just some discomfort. The injections are given in the muscle so there is probably some muscle soreness. If there is no facial swelling or trouble breathing then I wouldn't worry. If it gets worse or continues I would contact your vet

• That is a risk you take whenever you give a vaccine. And this is a mostly uneccessary vaccine at that. 30 years showing dogs and the only 2 times I have had kennel cough was the only 2 times I have used it. Waste of time, money, and not very good for the dogs. Bordatella is often given as a shot, the nasal has only been around for the last few years. There have been problems with the nasal vaccine causing sinus infections, mostly with longer nosed breeds.