My dog survived distemper but now is fearful, how do I build confidence?

I rescued a puppy from my crappy neighbors at the beginning of the year and found out on Jan. 20th that he had distemper. My vet suggested an experimental injection series over a 24 hour period that seems to have worked. Unfortunately he seized for…

I rescued a puppy from my crappy neighbors at the beginning of the year and found out on Jan. 20th that he had distemper. My vet suggested an experimental injection series over a 24 hour period that seems to have worked. Unfortunately he seized for…...
    General Dog Discussions : My dog survived distemper but now is fearful, how do I build confidence?...

• My dog survived distemper but now is fearful, how do I build confidence?

My dog survived distemper but now is fearful, how do I build confidence? General Dog Discussions
      I rescued a puppy from my crappy neighbors at the beginning of the year and found out on Jan. 20th that he had distemper. My vet suggested an experimental injection series over a 24 hour period that seems to have worked. Unfortunately he seized for almost 2 days straight. He now has vision problems and is having trouble connecting what he hears and sees to what it really is. He really just walks back and forth and trots by every once in a while. This is amazing in and of itself since he was just diagnosed 10 days ago and is now eating and drinking and walking on his own. Anyone that has ever experienced a dog with distemper will understand. He remembers what I had just taught him before he got sick which is to use the pad to go to the restroom, both #1 and #2. We are lucky with that. The issue that we are dealing with now is that he is very fearful, especially of me!!! I have been his primary caregiver since we got him and we had become very close and even slept together where my 5 year old has always slept in his carrier just for consistency. I just felt this guy needed a little more from me even before he got sick. I know it will be long road to get him back if he ever gets there after seizing for 2 days straight but I just don't want him to fear me. I wonder is there is any way to try and fix that or should I just give him time and he will figure it out on his own?The doggie in my profile pic is Rufus, the distemper survivor :)

My dog survived distemper but now is fearful, how do I build confidence? General Dog Discussions
    • 1. Cute dog2. Dogs that have been treated badly tend to become fearful of humans after they recover from trauma and other conditions. Your best bet would be lots of love and attention from you. Be sure to spend a lot of time in contact with him. He will grow more comfortable around you in time.

• It will take time but you just need to stay positive. Make sure all interactions you have with him are reinforced with praise and try giving him treats. Try letting him come over to you and keep tit bits in your pocket to give him when he does but try not to fuss over him too much as that could spook him.Don't push him too fast or he will become more fearful! You need to give him time to learn to trust you again and that work out that people can be nice after being badly treated.He's a really cute dog! I hope he's feeling a lot better! :)