Why are dogs allergic to chocolate?

Everybody tells me not to feed my dog chocolate because it could make him very sick. Why?

Everybody tells me not to feed my dog chocolate because it could make him very sick. Why?...
    General Dog Discussions : Why are dogs allergic to chocolate?...

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Why are dogs allergic to chocolate?

Why are dogs allergic to chocolate? General Dog Discussions
      Everybody tells me not to feed my dog chocolate because it could make him very sick. Why?

Why are dogs allergic to chocolate? General Dog Discussions
    • It is not an allergy. The same reason that you and I are "allergic" to cyanide. It maleffects a dogs metabliosm so that it can not function any more. No metablosim/conversion of energy=no life.

• We've all heard it, "Don't give your dog chocolate it will kill him". We'll how true is it you're probably wondering. Do I have to rush him to an emergency vet if he ate one of my M&M's?The truth is chocolate contains theobromine that is toxic to dogs in sufficient quantities. This is a xanthine compound in the same family of caffeine, and theophylline.Toxic LevelsThe good news is that it takes, on average, a fairly large amount of theobromine 100-150 mg/kg to cause a toxic reaction. Although there are variables to consider like the individual sensitivity, animal size and chocolate concentration.On average,Milk chocolate contains 44 mg of theobromine per oz.Semisweet chocolate contains 150mg/oz.Baker's chocolate 390mg/oz.Using a dose of 100 mg/kg as the toxic dose it comes out roughly as:1 ounce per 1 pound of body weight for Milk chocolate1 ounce per 3 pounds of body weight for Semisweet chocolate1 ounce per 9 pounds of body weight for Baker's chocolate.So, for example, 2 oz. of Baker's chocolate can cause great risk to an 15 lb. dog. Yet, 2 oz. of Milk chocolate usually will only cause digestive problems. Clinical SignsXanthines affect the nervous system, cardiovascular system and peripheral nerves. It has a diuretic effect as well. Clinical signs: Hyper excitability Hyper irritability Increased heart rate Restlessness Increased urination Muscle tremors Vomiting DiarrheaTreatmentThere is no specific antidote for this poisoning. And the half life of the toxin is 17.5 hours in dogs. Induce vomiting in the first 1-2 hours if the quantity is unknown. Administering activated charcoal may inhibit absorption of the toxin. An anticonvulsant might be indicated if neurological signs are present and needs to be controlled. Oxygen therapy, intravenous medications, and fluids might be needed to protect the heart.Milk chocolate will often cause diarrhea 12-24 hours after ingestion. This should be treated symptomatically (fluids, etc..) to prevent dehydration.If you suspect your pet has ingested chocolate contact your Vet immediately! They can help you determine the the proper treatment for your pet

• I've heard that too but I think people are wrong.. It all depends on the dog. I didn't do it on purpose but my chihuahua got a hold of some peanut m&ms I had on my table. He ate a couple & didn't get sick.. On the other hand my sister has a lab & he ate some kisses & got really sick. His eyes got really swollen & kept throwing them up. I still don't think it's ok for people to give their dogs chocolate though.

• Its not an allergy, its TOXIC to dogs. The darker the chocolate is, the more cocoa it contains and the more dangerous it is to your dog.It contains theobromine which is what makes dogs ill if they eat chocolate. It can also be potentially fatal if eaten as it iritates the GI tract and be treated asap, such as induced vomiting to get it out of the system.The size of the dog also matters, a smaller dog would be more affected by the same amount as a larger breed.Theobromine's effect on the body:Central Nervous System (CNS) stimulant Cardiovascular stimulantIncrease blood pressure (mild) Nausea and vomitingHow much is too much?The toxic dose of Theobromine (and caffeine) for pets is 100-200mg/kg. (1 kiliogram = 2.2 pounds). What are the signs of toxicity?Signs are most commonly seen within 12 hours (or less) of chocolate ingestion. Excitement / nervousness / trembling Vomiting / diarrhea Excessive thirst / sometimes excessive urination (at higher levels of Theobromine toxicity) Muscle spasms Seizures Coma (rare Death (rare) -- likely due to heart rhythm abnormalitiesChocolate can even be toxic to us if we eat enough of it at one time!!

• They aren't allergic to it they just can't break it down the way we can. It builds up in their system and could kill them. It could happen the first time they eat it or it could happen the 20th time they eat it. There stomachs don't have the same type of acid so they can't break it down and pass it.

• It's not an allergy but it is toxic to dogs. Getting sick would be the upside of chocolate. In many cases death is the direct result. It is so bad for them but it seems funny because we eat chocolate. No onions, grapes, raisins, tomato leaves, garlic, or seeds of fruit either. I'm probably missing a couple of other things as well.

• they are not allergic, they can not have it , it is fatal, mainly bitter sweet baker's chocolate., it is like a poison, and should not be given to them, and it needs to be put in a place where it is hard for them to get. causes the kidney respritory problems i believe.