what happens if a dog eats chocolate? What are the symptoms ?

i know that if a dog eats chocolate they're gonna die, but i want to know how are they going to act.

i know that if a dog eats chocolate they're gonna die, but i want to know how are they going to act....
    General Dog Discussions : what happens if a dog eats chocolate? What are the symptoms ?...

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• what happens if a dog eats chocolate? What are the symptoms ?

what happens if a dog eats chocolate? What are the symptoms ? General Dog Discussions
      i know that if a dog eats chocolate they're gonna die, but i want to know how are they going to act.

what happens if a dog eats chocolate? What are the symptoms ? General Dog Discussions
    • they have to eat a lot of chocolate in order for them to die. On average,Milk chocolate contains 44 mg of theobromine per oz.Semisweet chocolate contains 150mg/oz.Baker's chocolate 390mg/oz.Using a dose of 100 mg/kg as the toxic dose it comes out roughly as:1 ounce per 1 pound of body weight for Milk chocolate1 ounce per 3 pounds of body weight for Semisweet chocolate1 ounce per 9 pounds of body weight for Baker's chocolate.So, for example, 2 oz. of Baker's chocolate can cause great risk to an 15 lb. dog. Yet, 2 oz. of Milk chocolate usually will only cause digestive problems. Xanthines affect the nervous system, cardiovascular system and peripheral nerves. It has a diuretic effect as well. Clinical signs: Hyper excitability Hyper irritability Increased heart rate Restlessness Increased urination Muscle tremors Vomiting Diarrhea

• They ain't gonna die. My dog loved reese cups and once she even stole my mother's reese cup out of her hand. She lived to be over 20yrs old. Died of kidney problems and cancer. A tiny little bite ain't gonna hurt 'em. I have a cat and he loves junk food. Add that, that day after eating that reese cup, she was completely fine and the after and the day after day.

• Most dogs don't die from eating chocolate. It is more poisonous to some then others though. Cacao is poisonous to dogs. They will probably just stop eating and drinking, which BTW means that it is ready to die or isn't hungry. I've never had a dog die from eating chocolate and I've grown up in a house that breeds dogs and spoils our dear babies.

• If a dog only has a small amount of chocolate then they will be fine, but it they mow down on a live size chocolate sculpture of Beyonce or something that can become fatal. It also depends on the dog itself, my aunt fed her yorkie a bit of chocolate everyday for many years, but nothing bad ever came of it. The dog lived until it was around twenty with no health issues. I wouldn't recomend it though as you may not be as lucky!