Do you give your dog chocolate?

OK, i know all the warnings about dogs and chocolate. Ive heard it all, and i know that its true. But my dog just loves chocolate. I dont give her a lot, but maybe about once every other day i will share a hersheys bar with her. Every dog ive ever had…

Do you give your dog chocolate?

OK, i know all the warnings about dogs and chocolate. Ive heard it all, and i know that its true. But my dog just loves chocolate. I dont give her a lot, but maybe about once every other day i will share a hersheys bar with her. Every dog ive ever had…...
    General Dog Discussions : Do you give your dog chocolate?...

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• your dog will get sick if its eats it alot like you said every other day. that is too much. my dog has had chocolate before and loves it and beggs and beggs, but i dont give it too him. Over time it will make your dog sick.

• It sounds like a waste to me. But, maybe with a Hershey's bar, it's not such a waste. There's only so much of that one can eat.How about treating your dog to some free range chicken? Maybe go out of your way to find your local healthy pet store and see what kind of treats they have.

• I never have, because of the warnings. Call a vet and ask them over the phone why is chocolate bad for them and then you decide if you still want to give her chocolate. I think I will call the vet too and ask because I would like to know. But until you know for sure why take the risk of internal damage and suffering? :)

• I don't feed my dogs chocolate for fear of the caffeine. Some dogs are very sensitive to caffeine derived from chocolate and it can give them heart palpitations. If I were you, I'd give them carob dog cookies. They look like chocolate chip cookies, but have the same calories as a regular chocolate chocolate chip cookie, but much more healthier and no caffeine.

• I know that it's the caffiene in the chocolate that kills the dog, like if we were to have a weaker system or heart and then take something to increase the heart rate - we would surely die too!! O__o But yes, I do feed my dog chocolate as well, it's not mortifying at all, I believe that some people just take things too literally. I feed mine (she's just turned one [human year] this past New Year's) one small piece of dark chocolate (good for blood) once in every few blue moons. If they love it so much, why not treat them once in a while, right? You're doing nothing wrong, they (your dogs) love you. ^__^Melz

• I typically don't feed my dogs human food at all however, my little 4 lb pom got out of my sight for all of 2 minutes at a friends house. My friend sells chocolate for a living and must have left it within Winnie's reach. She downed an entire box of chocolate covered almonds! I didn't figure this out untill we got home and she started throwing up whole almonds and dark liquid. Apparently chocolate that people eat in chocolate bars is not harmful to dogs. It is actually pure chocolate like baker's chocolate that they are unable to digest. I still woul'nt advise a daily feeding of chocolate though.

• Once in awhile i do, but i don't give him alot, but he goes crazy when i give him chocolate...But on Halloween, He found my brother's stash of candy and he ate a bunch of chocolate, i mean alot!! chocolate in his face and paws, but he never got sick though.

• it only makes them sick because of the caffiene, it speeds up their heart, which causes them to sweat, but dogs can't sweat so they pant, and if you give them too much (like WAY too much, or idk 5 pounds of chocolate) then they can have like a heart attack or heat stroke)you can prolly feed your dog like one of those little hershey squares and maybe a little more depending on the size of your dog

• If it is bakers chocolate is when it is very dangerous to them- you want to avoid giving this to them at all. the ingredient mainly found in bakers chocolate is called theobromine. A naturally occurring stimulant found in the cocoa bean, theobromine increases urination and affects the central nervous system as well as heart muscle. Other choclates they can have in small amounts- it would take alot of chocolate to kill them unless it is baking chocolate. Chocolates from say a candy bar may upset their stomach, but would not do them any more harm than that, but bakers chocolate from say a cake would probably kill them. Chocolate is additing to dogs as it is to humans, so you want to try to give it to them as little as possible.

• I'll make this analogy: Would let your kid smoke a cigarette with you every once in a while? Seriously though, I don't freak if my dog gets a little chocolate. If he grabbed a whole 1 lb. chocolate bar or something, I might throw some hydrogen peroxide down his throat. I don't know how for real the chocolate thing is, but better safe than sorry.

• Absolutely not!Chocolate is poison to dogs. Usually a small amount of it (unless it is baking cocoa) will not make them sick, it does depend on how much you give them. But, it also causes other problems:Why Is Chocolate Bad?Sometimes we eat chocolate plain. Sometimes we eat it baked into cakes, mixed into ice cream etc. The first problem with these sweets is the fat. A sudden high fat meal (such as demolishing a bag of chocolate bars left accessible at Halloween time) can create a lethal metabolic disease called pancreatitis. Vomiting, diarrhea, and abdominal pain are just the beginning of this disaster. Remember, in the case of pancreatitis, it is the fat that causes the problem more than the chocolate itself.The fat and sugar in the chocolate can create an unpleasant but temporary upset stomach. This is what happens in most chocolate ingestion cases. (Pancreatitis can also damage the pancrase, if this happens, they could be diabetic the rest of their lives).Chocolate is, however, directly toxic because of the theobromine. The more chocolate liquor, the more theobromine is present. This makes baking chocolate the worst, followed by semisweet and dark chocolate, followed by milk chocolate, followed by chocolate flavored cakes or cookies. Theobromine causes:VomitingDiarrheaHyperactivityTremorsSeizuresRacing heart rhythm progressing to abnormal rhythmsDeath in severe cases Toxic doses of theobromine are 9 mg per pound of dog for mild signs up top 18 mg per pound of dog for severe signs. Milk chocolate contains 44mg/ounce of theobromine while semisweet chocolate contains 150mg/ounce, and baking chocolate contains 390 mg/ounce.It takes nearly 4 days for the effects of chocolate to work its way out of a dog’s system. If the chocolate was only just eaten it may be possible to induce vomiting; otherwise, hospitalization and support are needed until the chocolate has worked its way out of the system.

• If you know it's bad for them, why give them any? Do you give babies a little alcohol if they like it? A little bit of sugar in the gas tank doesn't make the car run any different, so why not? A little bit of drugs wont kill me, it makes me feel good. You only live once right? I haven't gotten sick or died from it, so it's cool. I don't think that way. I don't have a dog right now, but if I did I wouldn't give it chocolate. Who says how much will make it sick or die? The safest thing is not to give it to dogs, at all.

• Absolutely not. It is not worth the risk. Surely there are other treats she enjoys that you can share with her. The amount of chocolate that a dog can tolerate varies with the individual dog, but knowing it is not good for them, I just would not risk giving any amount.

• No don't feed you dog chocolate, it contains theobromine which is a poison to dogs The darker the chocolate the more theobromine in it, if the dog eats to much then it can cause seizure and can lead to problems with the nervous system and also heart failure. Here is a website with more info:http://www.dogownersdigest.com/news/library/chocolate-dog-poisoning.shtml