How do I get my dog to stop peeing on my new couch?

He only does it when I leave him for a while. I know he doesn't " need" to go because I take him out 3 times a day or more. He is mad at me and it's a behaviorial thing. He started it because me other dog did it on the old couch but this couch is 2 weeks…

He only does it when I leave him for a while. I know he doesn't " need" to go because I take him out 3 times a day or more. He is mad at me and it's a behaviorial thing. He started it because me other dog did it on the old couch but this couch is 2 weeks…...
    General Dog Discussions : How do I get my dog to stop peeing on my new couch?...

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• How do I get my dog to stop peeing on my new couch?

How do I get my dog to stop peeing on my new couch? General Dog Discussions
      He only does it when I leave him for a while. I know he doesn't " need" to go because I take him out 3 times a day or more. He is mad at me and it's a behaviorial thing. He started it because me other dog did it on the old couch but this couch is 2 weeks old.He is 3 years old and already been potty trained. He is fixed. He knows where he is supposed to potty. It's a behaviorial issue.

How do I get my dog to stop peeing on my new couch? General Dog Discussions
    • Keep him in a crate when you're gone. Dogs find comfort in crates anyway, so you shouldn't feel bad about it.Use a vinegar solution on your couch to neutralize the smell. He'll be less likely to do it in the future.

• Maybe your dog does *need* to go... i suggest getting a dog door....if that doesn't work then u may have to keep ur dog outside or tell it "NO!" and train it not to.... my grandmas dog did the same thing.... also, to help it know that u mean "no" u might want to give it a little slap on the butt... not hard but just enough to get the message through.... it's probably not a good idea if ur dog is scared really easily tho....hope this helps! :)

• Get a create and keep him in the when you leave the house. Or tie him up with a leash in a room where he can't mess anything up. It's separation anxiety he is having.

• I'm a petsitter and many of my clients have had the same problem. Crateing the dog can help, but not all dogs like that, and it could cause more trouble. ( they will sometimes chew the crate up and hurt their mouth badly) It can also stress them out even more, and if you love your animal you don't want that. What your dog probably has is seperation anxiety. Destructive behavior b/c they are mad you left them alone. You can buy dog repellent at most pet stores. It has something in it they don't like. Also, I know this sounds crazy, but you can take your pup to the vet and ask if they do doggy anti-depressants. I know it's weird, but my moms greyhound was on them and it helped her! Good luck!

• he is marking his territory. he is saying "this is my couch" anything new will draw attention from the dog and they will pee on it to declare it as theirs. my dog does this too. he does it on cloths, chairs, furniture, my other dog. he is just marking his territory. the best way to stop it is to kennel him when ur not there. that is what i have to do. if they have the run of the house when ur gone they will mark up a storm

• My new puppy kept peeing everywhere so I got a crate to put him in when I am gone. I take him out just before I go and I take him out as soon as I get home and he hasn't used the bathroom in the house since. If you get a crate get a nice bed and a good blanket for your dog. Since most dogs don't want to use the bathroom in their bed, they usually wait until you get home and let them out. If you can't get a crate right away start by sticking him in the bathroom with puppy mats. Good luck.