Is it true that dogs die soon when they eat chocolate?

So I am at a party, and there are some kids, a dog, and alot of candy! I am worried that if my dog eats chocolate, does he die soon. He has some years to live and I don't want him to get hold of chocolate. Can someone help?! Is it true, will he live if…

So I am at a party, and there are some kids, a dog, and alot of candy! I am worried that if my dog eats chocolate, does he die soon. He has some years to live and I don't want him to get hold of chocolate. Can someone help?! Is it true, will he live if…...
    General Dog Discussions : Is it true that dogs die soon when they eat chocolate?...

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Is it true that dogs die soon when they eat chocolate?

Is it true that dogs die soon when they eat chocolate? General Dog Discussions
      So I am at a party, and there are some kids, a dog, and alot of candy! I am worried that if my dog eats chocolate, does he die soon. He has some years to live and I don't want him to get hold of chocolate. Can someone help?! Is it true, will he live if he does? I mean not forever, but can he still live his life?It was a square milky way (the ones u get for halloween!) (cheap adults!) um yes one of the mini ones.

Is it true that dogs die soon when they eat chocolate? General Dog Discussions
    • My father in laws dog ate like a 1 pound bag of m and m's and survived, the dog got sick not too long after it happened and puked them all out, but the chocolate coat on the m and m's were gone.

• Dogs can actually handle small amounts of chocolate. It all depends on the size of the dog but try and keep the candy away from him or the kids away from him.

• It is myth. My dog ate chocolate pies for 10 years,just dont feed em too much.Chocolate is now a highly healing food, and is good for ya.What is good for u is good for your dog.Dogs love to chew tobacco too, they will live 20yrs.

• well 9 times outta 10 chocolate is like poison to a dog. so is eggs. oh and don't give a dog chicken bones to chew on ever, 'cause they can choke on them easily.>back to your question:my aunts dog once ate chocolate after her stepson put some chocolate down for a sec and when the dog saw it he darted for it. thankfully my aunt saw him eating it and pulled the dog away. that was um...4 years ago and he's still as lively as ever. so i guess you could say, yes chocolate is like poison to a dog. in this case, we were lucky. but it should never be risked.

• my sisters boxer ate a pound of fudge and it didn't affect her other than making her hyper. I would think that your dog will be okay. Just watch him for any changes in his behaviour.

• Chocolate can cause a dog to get very sick, but it depends on the quantity and the kind of chocolate. The dark bakers chocolate is the type that is the most lethal, white chocolate and milk chocolate are the least harmfull. This all depends on the amount in relation to the dogs body size. If your dog eats chocolate of a substantial amount then this can be harmful. If you catch your dog right afterwards, you can make them vomit by giving them hydrogen peroxide by the tablespoon until they do so. Small quanities of milk or white chocolate may only cause diarhea or an up-set stomache. (i.e a lab that eats a little trial size bag of M & M's will probably not even be affected) There are websites- and i cannot remember off-hand what ones- that can you give you the exact amount of chocolate per pound that a dog has to eat in order for him/her to become extremely sick.

• My dog got into our easter chocolate. We have a maltese and it ate about four dark chocolate eggs. She threw up alot but was fine. here is a site that will help.http://www.talktothevet.com/ARTICLES/DOGS/chocolatetoxic.HTM

• chocolate can kill your dog.I can't say just how much,but any vet could answer all your questions by telephone .{free}Splenda and other artifical sweetners can and will destroy your pets liver,causing an ugly death.Good Luck.

• Chocolate is poisonous to dogs. They can die from it if they eat much (especially true with 'dark' or 'semi-sweet' chocolate). If you know that your dog has eaten an amount of chocolate, you should take them to a veterinarian, where they can be treated for poisoning. It is important to tell people around you NOT to feed any chocolate - or any candy, for that matter - to your dog(s). In general, feeding any type of candy to pets is a bad idea - they are not equipped to digest refined sugars, and, because they are a lot smaller than we are, a small helping for us is a big helping for them.