Is Insulin given to diabetic dogs the same as that given to humans?

My dog a chocolate lab is diabetic and gets two shots of insulin daily. I have been told that insulin obtained from a pharmacy is half the price that one has to pay to get it from the vet.

My dog a chocolate lab is diabetic and gets two shots of insulin daily. I have been told that insulin obtained from a pharmacy is half the price that one has to pay to get it from the vet....
    General Dog Discussions : Is Insulin given to diabetic dogs the same as that given to humans?...

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Is Insulin given to diabetic dogs the same as that given to humans?

Is Insulin given to diabetic dogs the same as that given to humans? General Dog Discussions
      My dog a chocolate lab is diabetic and gets two shots of insulin daily. I have been told that insulin obtained from a pharmacy is half the price that one has to pay to get it from the vet.

Is Insulin given to diabetic dogs the same as that given to humans? General Dog Discussions
    • My German Shepard was on insulin for a year. The only one that was sold over the counter for him was discontinued and I had to use Vetsulin from there on. My vet says that it is not the same as human insulin, it has to do with the time release of it.

• I"m not sure exactly if it's the same type of insulin. My cat is on PZI Insulin. We went through Humulin N and another one before we finally found this one to work the best. I get my insulin from 1800 Pets. Even with the $17 for shipping (They need to send it Fed Ex and it's cold packed), I still save about $15.00 a vial than if I purchased it from my vet. I use alot of it, so that 15 really adds up. You would still need the vet to write you up a prescription for it to give to the pharmacy. I know that the syringes can be purchased from a pharmacy, but you would need a prescription for those too.

• I would search around for the best prices. Theres no law that says you have to stay with your same vet. I dont know if human pharmacys can give out drugs if they arent for you and you dont have a valid prescription. I would try it, though, if you know of someone who has done it.Definately call around to other vet clinics. There is no standard price for any services that is set up. My vet charges $39 for an office visit but the one up the road charges $10. I dont go to the other one because I felt their customer service skills were the same as at the McDonalds drive through.