How bad is chocolate for dogs?

I have a dog and he is really old. Every now and then he acts like he is going to die for reasons I can't find out (sore and no energy). I wonder sometimes if someone fed him something bad like chocolate. My roomate is always cooking deserts/pastries and…

I have a dog and he is really old. Every now and then he acts like he is going to die for reasons I can't find out (sore and no energy). I wonder sometimes if someone fed him something bad like chocolate. My roomate is always cooking deserts/pastries and…...
    General Dog Discussions : How bad is chocolate for dogs?...

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• How bad is chocolate for dogs?

How bad is chocolate for dogs? General Dog Discussions
      I have a dog and he is really old. Every now and then he acts like he is going to die for reasons I can't find out (sore and no energy). I wonder sometimes if someone fed him something bad like chocolate. My roomate is always cooking deserts/pastries and even though she says she doesn't feed him any I have my wonders. So my question is, what symptoms occur after your dog eats chocolate? Will it kill them right away? Does it have to be the "dark" chocolate?Thanks in advance.

How bad is chocolate for dogs? General Dog Discussions
    • Most dogs can eat a very small (tiny) amount of milk chocolate without trouble. Dark chocolate is more dangerous. Too much chocolate of either kind will kill a dog. I don't know the symptoms. You should telephone a veterinarian and ask. In fact, it would probably be a very good idea to get your older dog in for a check-up, soon. He might feel a lot better with some arthritis medication....

• Ok i think it makes them sick and then die.What so ever if you feed them a little like one or two peanut size they can just poop it out but if you feed them a lot i think they get sick and die and your dog is normal i have a 15 year old dog(105 years in dog years)and the dogs are just lazy at this age my dog just lays there so it probably nothing.I might be wrong on the Chocolate thing but i don't think so.

• From what I've read and learned about, chocolate can kill dogs, but it's very hard.A little bit of chocolate - say a Hershey Kiss, will not hurt a dog. (I'm not saying to EVER give your dog chocolate. I wouldn't take the chance.)Now if your dog happens to go to a chocolate factory and eats at least a couple pounds of chocolate, then yes, your dog will suffer from kidney problems and they will shut down.You stated that your dog is old and yes, of course he'll be sluggish and have no energy. If he's a big dog, the low energy is caused by sore joints and just being tired in general.If you suspect your dog has eaten chocolate, he'll have vomiting, diarrhea, or hyperactivity. There would be an increase in the dog's heart rate, which can cause arrhythmia, restlessness, hyperactivity, muscle twitching, increased urination or excessive panting. This could lead toward muscle tremors, seizures, coma and even death.I hope this well answers your question.

• most people think that ANY amount of chocolate will kill a dog, but it can't kill them unless they have a certain amount... my grandma's dog ate FOUR boxes of fudge and was sick for two days...if he ate anymore the doctors said he would have died, but he was/is fine

• Some symptoms that can occur are vomiting and diarrhea, restlessness and hyperactivity. Chocolate will not kill a dog right away but you do need to get help or help your dog yourself if you know he/she has gotten into chocolate. You can do this by inducing vomiting, hydrogen peroxide is used to induce vomiting. Mix three percent hydrogen peroxide to water solution and give your dog 1-2 tea spoons for a smaller dog, 3-4 tables spoons for a larger dog, by mouth every 10-15 minutes until you produce vomiting. Both milk and dark chocolate are bad for dogs, but dark chocolate has a lot more flavanoids, high levels of antioxidants, has a high ORAC score and, unfortunately for dogs, has a lot of Theobromine. Therefore dark chocolate is worse for your dog. Try to keep chocolate away from your dog as much as possible! Hope your dog feels better!

• Any type of chocolate is BAD for dogs. It does not necessarily kill them on the spot (depending on the quantity of course) but it leaves them in a very poor health condition. Alas, it is well know that golden retrievers (and a few other purebred races) DO die thanks to consumption of chocolate and a few sweets.

• It could be other stuff than chocolate that can make dogs sick , it could be raisans and nuts, you should google Human foods that are poisinus to dogs, ill give you a list of some toxic foods from a dog book i have, lmonds, apricots, avocados, balsalm pears. chocolate, coffeegrounds, fatty foods, grapes, japanese plums, macadamia nuts, moldy or spoiled food,mushroooms, onions and onion powder raisians, yeast dough. symtompps are Vomiting, diarrehea, abnormal urine( color, odor or frequency, salivation, and weakness. That happend 2 my dog before, my friend gave him grapes and i didnt know they where toxic then, and my dog was all weak and has was drooling saliva. Sometimes he will act all weak and i dont know why, but my dogs is the kinda dog that will eat/gran anything he finds. he sometimes eats little rocks or grass,he went into my bag and ate a whole pack of gum, so even if i see him acting sick/weird/weak, i just think he ate something bad or something hes not sopposed 2 eat, uz hes like that, maybe your dog is that way too, if not, than Tell all your friends and roomatrs Not to Feed your dog any human food at all, he will get seek, tellem straight up.

• well My dog is under ten pounds and the other day she ate about five (dark) chocolate chips... she didn't have any symptoms like diherria of vomiting... she is still fine and deffinitely not dead :) I thinks its fine for dogs to have a little chocolate only if it is un-intentional.

• Chocolate isnt good for dogs at all. My stepgrandma has a dog and he once got into a bag of chocolate he was throwing up and everything i would advise you strongly not to feed your dog chocolate

• One time I was in the backyard with my dog. I was eating a Chocolate bar. He barked and i dropped a piece. He jumped and grabbed it i yelled his name and he ate it. Nothing' changed. The symptoms are just weakness. If its not so much Chocolate they might just vomit once or twice. They wont die unless you give a certain chocolate, and or if you give them a lot. JUST DON'T GIVE THEM ANY!!!I hope this helped