does chocolate really kill dogs?

my boyfriend got on to me for giving his dog chocolate he says it kills them?

does chocolate really kill dogs?

my boyfriend got on to me for giving his dog chocolate he says it kills them?...
    General Dog Discussions : does chocolate really kill dogs?...

• No ... my dog eats chocolate all the time, and he drinks anti-freeze and he is as healthy as can be!Oh my god, sparky ... wake up sparky!!!

• Please search for your question before you ask. If you did you would find that TONS of people have already asked and answered this question if you search for "chocolate kill dog".http://answers.yahoo.com/search/search_result;_ylt=AuVm.j6pLsU_4F._xsVcUqQjzKIX?p=dog+chocolate+killIn fact someone asked the same question just yesterday:http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index;_ylt=AoN5iuAx0BBsMD2gppQRZZzsy6IX?qid=20060809151939AAqFh5l

• Your dog won't die if you give him one M&M. However, chocolate contains the chemical theobromine that can be toxic to dogs. It takes about 100-150 mg/kg of theobromine to cause a toxic reaction, but it depends on the size of the dog, their sensitivity, age, breed, ect.Milk chocolate contains 44 mg of theobromine per ounce, semisweet chocolate contains 150mg/ounce, and Baker's chocolate contains 390mg/oz.Using a dose of 100 mg/kg as the toxic dose it comes out roughly as:1 ounce per 1 pound of body weight for Milk chocolate1 ounce per 3 pounds of body weight for Semisweet chocolate1 ounce per 9 pounds of body weight for Baker's chocolate.So: White chocolate: 200 ounces per pound of body weight. It takes 250 pounds of white chocolate to cause signs of poisoning in a 20-pound dog, 125 pounds for a 10-pound dog. Milk chocolate: 1 ounce per pound of body weight. Approximately one pound of milk chocolate is poisonous to a 20-pound dog; one-half pound for a 10-pound dog. The average chocolate bar contains 2 to 3 ounces of milk chocolate. It would take 2-3 candy bars to poison a 10 pound dog. Semi-sweet chocolate has a similar toxic level. Sweet cocoa: 0.3 ounces per pound of body weight. One-third of a pound of sweet cocoa is toxic to a 20-pound dog; 1/6 pound for a 10-pound dog. Baking chocolate: 0.1 ounce per pound body weight. Two one-ounce squares of bakers' chocolate is toxic to a 20-pound dog; one ounce for a 10-pound dog.

• chocolate contains a chemical called theobromine, dogs to vomit and have diarrhea. those are just minor symptoms.Heart rate increase, excessive panting, muscle twitching, seizures and sometimes coma are more dangerous symptoms ( only occur if the dogs has eaten a large amount of chocolate)

• Chocolate is toxic to dogs. Whether it kills the dog or just makes it sick depends on the size of the dog, how much chocolate was ingested, and what type of chocolate was consumed. Milk chocolate is less toxic than semi-sweet. It's best to keep all chocolate away from your dog.