Is it okay to feed your dog beef, chicken, meat loaf, etc?

The dog is so used to eating what we eat...can it be dangerous to give them table food, or is it okay? Nothing has happened so far...but some people say it's not good. It's not like we've given the dog chocolate, just meat.

The dog is so used to eating what we eat...can it be dangerous to give them table food, or is it okay? Nothing has happened so far...but some people say it's not good. It's not like we've given the dog chocolate, just meat....
    General Dog Discussions : Is it okay to feed your dog beef, chicken, meat loaf, etc?...

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Is it okay to feed your dog beef, chicken, meat loaf, etc?

Is it okay to feed your dog beef, chicken, meat loaf, etc? General Dog Discussions
      The dog is so used to eating what we eat...can it be dangerous to give them table food, or is it okay? Nothing has happened so far...but some people say it's not good. It's not like we've given the dog chocolate, just meat.

Is it okay to feed your dog beef, chicken, meat loaf, etc? General Dog Discussions
    • unless you are over feeding him no or just feeding him fat and gristle. If you feed him too much of certain meats like ham he can get the runs and too many spices can upset the stomach too.

• wild dogs don't eat canned food and they've been around for millions of years....if its not good for your dog he won't eat it...or they'll bring it back up or even eat grass to settle there stomach....if they eat it its all good

• It's really not good for it's digestive system. "Dog food is formulated to be complete and ballanced, unlike human food. We are suppose to eat portions of each food group to get a complete and ballanced diet. "http://dogs.thefuntimesguide.com/2006/02/homemade_dog_foods.php has a list of some foods you CAN feed your dog and some foods which are poisonous to dogs. enjoy ! hope this helps

• i cook one chicken every two days and split this between my three dogs. they are used to getting this everyday. i always keep their dry food for them 24/7. once a month i do not feed them chicken for a few days to clear out their systems.

• Yeah- if you like to clean up vomit and loose stool- and pay lots of money to your vet's office. The best diet for dogs is DOG food and DOG'S should be fed dog treats.Their pancreas can't handle all the fats in human food and the diet changes from day to day like we can.

• Yes, it's just meat, but it is meat cooked in oils and spices -- things the dog's digestive system isn't prepared for.Dogs do well on raw meat; but once you start cooking it to your taste, it is no longer suitable for the dog.If you're going to feed your dog meat, it should be raw chicken, turkey, beef bones, organ meat, etc.Nothing has happened "so far", but your dog's health is going to pay in the long run.

• onions,grapes,raisins,chocolate and macadamia nuts are toxic to dogs...Just make sure it gets some kind of hard chew for the teeth or brush them daily... You can give it carrots , apples and green beans take it's food out before you season yours.

• I can not take credit for this answer bc I found it on yahoo answers from another user but it is very helpful:Grapes ARE bad for dogs. As are raisins. Here is a list of other toxic things.Alcohol: Ingestion can lead to sickness, urination problems or even coma or death from alcohol poisoning.Anti-freeze: Although not a human food, it can be readily available for them in a car park puddle. It is sweet so if they find it, they will drink it. Even a small amount of antifreeze can be fatal. 3-4 tablespoons can kill a medium sized dog. The main ingredient in antifreeze is ethylene glycol, an extremely toxic poison that causes kidney failure, which is often fatal in just a few days.Apple: The seeds contain cyanogenic glycosides, which can result in cyanide poisoning. Any seed or pit from a fruit is dangerous.Apricot: Same as the apple.Avocado: Avocadoes are high in fat content and can trigger an upset stomach, vomiting or even pancreatitis. Avocado contains a toxic element called persin, which can damage heart, lung and other tissue in many animals. Baby Food: If it contains onion powder then it is not good. See onions for more explanations.Bones: Cooked bones can be very hazardous for your dog. They become brittle and can splinter causing your dog to choke or worst, puncture, rupture their stomach lining and intestinal tract. Bad bones are turkey and chicken legs, ham, pork chop and veal. Bread Dough: Pets who have eaten bread dough may experience abdominal pain, bloat, vomiting, disorientation and depression. When bread dough is ingested your dog's body heat causes the dough to rise in the stomach. During the rising process alcohol is produced as the dough expands.Candy: Sugarless candy containing xylitol has been recognized by the National Animal Poison Control Center (NAPCC) to be a risk to pets. The compound can cause liver damage.Cherries: The seed pit contains cyanogenic glycosides which can cause cyanide poisoning. Chocolate: Chocolate contains theobromine, a compound that is a cardiac stimulant and a diuretic. Theobromine will either increase the dog’s heart rate or may cause the heart to beat irregularly. Death is quite possible, especially with exercise.Eggs (Raw): Raw egg whites contain a protein called avidin, which can deplete your dog of biotin, one of the B vitamins. Biotin is essential to your dog’s growth and coat health. Additionally, raw eggs are often contaminated with bacteria, such as salmonella, and you could end up giving your dog food poisoning in addition to biotin deficiency.Grapes or Raisins: Although the minimum lethal dosage is not known, grapes and raisins can be toxic to dogs when ingested in large quantities. The symptoms are gastrointestinal signs including vomiting and diarrhea, and then signs of kidney failure with an onset of severe kidney signs starting about 24 hours after ingestion.Liver: In small amounts liver is good for your dog, but if the liver intake is too high it can cause nutritional problems because liver has a high content of vitamin A. Consumption of this vitamin in large amounts can lead to vitamin A toxicity, or hypervitaminosis A. It could lead to bone problems.Macadamia Nuts: The toxic compound is unknown but eating as few as six nuts without the shell has been known to cause elevated body temperature, accelerated heartbeat, tremors in the skeletal muscles, and weakness or paralysis of the hindquarters.Onions: Onions cause hemolytic anemia. Red blood cells break down leaving the dog short of oxygen. Onion poisoning can occur with a single ingestion of large quantities or with repeated meals containing small amounts of onion.Salmon (Raw): The cause is infection by a rickettsial organism called Neorickettsia helminthoeca. A sudden onset of symptoms occurs 5-7 days after ingestion of fish. Initial symptoms include lethargy and anorexia. Persistent vomiting by the fourth day. There is bloody diarrhea within a few days of vomiting onset. The diarrhea is often bright yellow color. There are enlarged lymph nodes.Tomatoes and Tomato Plants: These contain atropine which can cause dilated pupils, tremors and irregular heartbeat. The highest concentration of atropine is found in the leaves and stems of tomato plants, next is the unripe (green) tomatoes and then the ripe tomato

• I wouldn't feed him anything but dogfood. That is the proper nutrition for them, so why interfere? I am attaching a link that lists foods that can become toxic for dogs. If you are going to feed him from the table, please read this article first.

• Giving your dog the left over or extra meat from what you've had for meal times is absolutely fine, as long as it is reasonably plain and has not been excessively seasoned with salt, pepper, chilli...etc. With all meat, especially chicken, be careful to look out for small sharp bones as these could get caught in your dogs throat or splinter in their mouth.Meats provide protein, which is VERY important in a dogs diet.Meats are absolutely fine to give to your dog.Some foods to keep your dog away from are -grapes, raisins, garlic, onions, chocolate, citric fruits, cherries, large ammounts of liver, tomatos, certain nuts, chillis, raw salmon, bread dough and eggs.Some foods that are fine to give your dog are -Chicken, beef, lamb, turkey, pork, brown rice, white rice, pasta, carrots, peas, sage, apples (cored and seadless), celery....Heres a good helpful link with infomation about what foods are not suitible for dogs -http://www.thedogbowl.com/PPF/category_ID/54/dogbowl.aspand infomation on what will supply your dog with a healthy balanced diet -http://www.thedogbowl.com/PPF/category_ID/41/dogbowl.aspI make my dogs food at home, because she often just sniffed the tinned stuff, and if she did eventually eat it, would be sick, so now I buy a huge value pack of rice, pack of chicken thighs and fresh carrots, and boil them all up in a pan until all liquid has evaporated. She loves it, and its a healthy meal 100% sutible for dogs.Hope this helps :)

• for 7 years my dogs have been fed all natural ground turkey(and sometimes deboned fish), sweet potatoes, whole grain rice, apples, greenbeans, minced garlic, fish oil. This is all mixed together and this is their dog food. What's in store dog food is crap. I go by the saying they use for wine. If it's not good enough to drink don't use it to cook with. If your dog's food isn't good enough for you to eat it it's not good enough for your dog. Do the research on a dogs digestive system and you'll understand they were not made to eat the processed stuff found in a bag. The were made to eat fresh meats, a few grains (no corn or wheat due to common allergies), a few fruits and veggies, and every once in a while a few good bones (not cooked ones as they splinter). If more dog owners would just do the research of a dogs true digestive system, bagged stuff would be out of business. My dogs have no fleas (no, i don't use chemicals on their necks and we live in FL), shed very little, have no bad breath, no health issues. They are perfectly healthy, happy dogs. It took me 2 years to be convinced it was the dry stuff I was feeding my first dog that was giving him such bad health issues. But once I did the research and changed, he's been perfectly healthy.

• No - dogs and cats should be fed dog or cat food, certain spices, and grease can cause pancreatitis which can be fatal. My in law's dog almost died from eating human food - 7K dollars and one gall bladder later, she can only eat prescription dog food and needs daily medication. There is no reason why they need to eat human food. Boiled white meat chicken and white rice are the only things that my vet has okay ed. Better to be safe than sorry....

• I don't see a problem with it. As long as it is only meat and nothing else, he probably enjoys the treat. Onions, avocados, chocolate, nuts-especially macadamia nuts, grapes, raisins, yeast dough (bread) can all cause your dog problems and should not be given to the dog. I have also read that you should not make table scraps more than 10% of the dogs diet, as it is not nutritionally balanced and the dog could end up lacking in needed vitamins and minerals.....stuff that it gets from dog food.