my dog ate chocolate is she going to be okay?

my little dog ate chocolate with tin foil around it, is she going to be okay? i mean she has a pretty good stomach. i just wanna make sure.

my little dog ate chocolate with tin foil around it, is she going to be okay? i mean she has a pretty good stomach. i just wanna make sure....
    General Dog Discussions : my dog ate chocolate is she going to be okay?...

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• my dog ate chocolate is she going to be okay?

my dog ate chocolate is she going to be okay? General Dog Discussions
      my little dog ate chocolate with tin foil around it, is she going to be okay? i mean she has a pretty good stomach. i just wanna make sure.

my dog ate chocolate is she going to be okay? General Dog Discussions
    • She'll be ok. It takes a lot of chocolate to poison a pup unless they have a weak immune system. If she's a healthy pup then I wouldn't worry. She'll poop the wrapping out. Give her lots of water to flush out the toxins as well. Take care.

• the foil should pass. she may get a upset tummy..or she may get some loose stools but she should be ok. i feed my dog chocolate. other than some nasty gas she's fine with it.

• Your dog should be fine. The chemical in chocloate that is toxic to dogs is called Theobromine(TB). It affects the dogs centeral nervous system and heart. the amount of TB needed to affect a dog depends on the type of dog and the size. Milk chocolate contains the least amount of TB while dark and unsweetened contains the most. It is also important to remember that TB has a Half-Life which means the toxin never fully leaves the dogs body. The half life of TB in Dogs is around 17.5 hours. since this Toxin never leaves the body it is important to never feed you dog chocolate of any form, as the toxin can and will build up in the dogs body which will be fatal at some point.

• Bottom line, when in doubt, emergency vet. You can never go wrong with having a vet involved immediately. However, that hurts the wallet obviously. So if you're not inclined to take her to your vet, you need to determine how much she ate, and how much she weighs. Milk chocolate (most candy types), you would be looking at roughly 1 ounce per 1 pound of body weight is toxic. So a 32 pound dog would have to eat about 2 pounds of milk chocolate. Obviously, darker chocolate is dramatically worse, so if it's dark chocolate it could take as little as 1/3 the amount to be toxic. However, one hershey kiss isn't likely to be a problem. Be prepared for some digestive trouble in the form of a nice mess on your floor tomorrow morning.Hope this helps, and hope your dog is ok. My dog recently got into onions and I remember the uncertainty and worry about what to do. Chances are that like my dog, your dog didn't eat nearly enough to cause more than an upset stomach and messy wastes. But if you're at all in doubt, what's worse - a 100 dollar vet bill or a very sick dog?